Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Mandy found the dorms without help, astounded she was able to find her own way. After her interaction with Akkadi, the triumph she felt walking through the correct panel was overwhelming.

From what she could tell, he was trying to break up with her. They never even really dated, yet she was desperate not to be rejected by the only man who could get her home but declared he wouldn’t, because doing so meant that an entire planet of people suffered somehow.

An entire planet. She couldn’t fathom the size and amount of people that involved. Distracted, she went towards her bed for a nap, ignoring the few slaves in the dorm area.

“Mandy?”

She stopped, trying to recall where she’d heard this voice. Mandy racked her brain then turned. Her eyes widened, and she issued a high-pitched squeal that made Belo jump.

“Cesar!” she shrieked.

She took two steps and flung her arms around him. Cesar laughed and gave her a bear hug. She barely knew the stranger from the plane but right now, he might as well have been her long lost brother.

Mandy didn’t want to let him go. Within seconds, she was overwhelmed enough to cry, elated and horrified to know there was another survivor from her time. Cesar held her tightly, his solid, muscular body assuring her he really was there.

“Are you okay?” he asked.

She sucked in a shaky breath and reined in her tears. Mandy pulled away to wipe her eyes.

“I think so,” she said. “This has been a nightmare. You have no idea how happy I am to see you.”

Cesar smiled. His eyes were blurry, and he wiped them quickly. Mandy hugged him again, not wanting to let him go.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

“More or less,” he grunted. “I spent the past few days with Urik. He said you were here, but we had to wait for one of these.” He tugged away from her to show her the peach colored medallion. “I guess these are hard to come by.”

“Akkadi makes them,” she said. “I have one, too. Did Urik tell you why?”

By Cesar’s wary look over his shoulder, he knew why. He nodded. Mandy wiped her eyes.

“Sit down. Tell me what’s up,” Cesar said. He took her hand and tugged her to the trunk at the end of her bed.

Mandy sat next to him, thighs touching. She feared releasing him completely in case he disappeared. He appeared healthy and clean and wore the grey servant robe of the Naki royalty.

“You look fantastic, by the way,” he added. “I’m so not wearing a cat suit.”

“Thanks.” She laughed. “Yeah, this wasn’t my idea.”

“I’ll leave you to talk,” Belo said and crossed to his bed. He lay down.

“Aliens, spaceships, battles,” Cesar said quietly. He shook his head. “I can’t get over that this is it. This is the future.”

“I’m trying to figure out a way home.”

His eyes returned to her. “Urik was pretty convinced there wasn’t a way.”

“There is. It’s just … hard,” she said. “It requires too many resources they don’t have to spare.”

“We’re stuck here.”