Chapter Nine

Chapter nine

Even as he said the words, he knew how cowardly he was. Two kisses with this woman, and he didn’t want his cousins even looking her direction. That they’d pursued him early in the day to request her hand or her body as consort made him furious. He’d never asked anything of the sort from his cousins.

Akkadi dipped his head to the nape of her neck, dwelling in her scent. His human was beyond wild. She melted any restraint he had with her fiery kisses. He’d never wanted to leave the battle deck to make love to a woman, but he’d barely kept himself from pursuing her when she walked away earlier.

He loved her hair down, the loose curls bouncing with her movement. Her slave’s uniform was appropriate but far too revealing, clinging to every curve of her body. Her sorrow made him want to make love to her until she smiled.

Duty.

He couldn’t be absorbed by human emotion when he was waging battles and negotiating treaties. Every time he saw Mandy, he wasn’t able to get her out of his head for hours afterwards, something he couldn’t afford if he was to remain effective as a leader. He’d made a mistake by agreeing to an arrangement with her while he was betrothed to another. Yet, for the first time in his life, no part of him wanted to make things right. For the first time in his life, he felt alive every time he was near Mandy.

Her breathing was uneven; he sensed she was distraught.  

“How do you do this?” she asked suddenly. She raised her arm.

He took her arm. “Do what?”

“I had lashings. Now I don’t.”

“I brought a healer to you last night and the night before while you slept,” he replied. “Our healers are some of the best in the galaxy.”

“They need to be, if all slaves are treated like this.”

He frowned, disturbed by the idea someone was breaking the laws his mother created regarding the treatment of slaves.

“I’m going back to the slave quarters,” she said, pulling away from him.

Akkadi let her go. Was he grateful or frustrated?

Mandy didn’t look at him again but walked quickly towards the door. Akkadi watched her.

She knew nothing about Hichele and that he was promised to another. He didn’t think she would react well. He had every intention of telling her, the final means of driving a wedge between them. At the first sign of her distress, he wasn’t able to think of anything but soothing her. He didn’t want the beautiful woman to be sad or hurt or angry and yet, he caused all three in the period of a few minutes with her.

Duty was his first priority. He had one to his family, his people, the humans, even to Hichele. He began to think he had some sort of obligation to Mandy, even if she wasn’t his betrothed. He didn’t understand what this connection was, but it was strong. He wanted to see her taken care of and for her to stop worrying. Being with one of his cousins was the best option for this. It was also the option he liked least of all.

Akkadi had come to his quarters to change before boarding his craft, where Vekko awaited him. He did so quickly. Instead of heading straight to the bay, he went to his mother’s deck. She was awake when he entered, her hair down and her sleeping robe indicating he’d caught her soon after she woke.

“I hope I am not disturbing you, my queen,” he said with a bow.

“Never, my son,” she said, smiling. “You are leaving with Vekko for the Kini home world?”

“I am.”

“I wish you both safe travels.”

It was the typical exchange between them whenever he left. When he didn’t say farewell, she glanced up at him.

“May I be bold, my queen?” he asked.

“Of course.”

“You set my cousins on me.”

“You said you didn’t want Mandy for your own and took Hichele,” his mother replied calmly. “As a human, Mandy must be afforded an appropriate place in our society.”

“I know this.”

“I’ve told your cousins to wait two to three months, until you tire of her as your consort. If you wish to rid her from your bed sooner, I can arrange to have her mated to one of them tomorrow.”

“No,” he said quickly. “Two to three months is sufficient.”

His mother raised her eyebrows at him. “Does she know about Hichele?”

“No.”

“Son, you need to tell her.” She frowned. “It might affect her choice at being a consort.”

“She understands it’s a temporary situation.” Akkadi hesitated.

His mother looked at him expectantly.

“Mother, I feel an obligation to her,” he said at last.

“What do you mean, Akkadi?”

“It’s not something I can explain. I know the best place for her is with Vekko. I know she deserves to be a wife not a consort,” he said deliberately.

“But you find yourself unwilling to sever this … obligation,” she finished.

He nodded.

His mother was quiet for a moment.

“It is a difficult decision, Akkadi. The obligation you feel is emotional attachment,” she said, smiling faintly. “You are smart enough to know this.”

“I do,” he confirmed. “I am simply curious how you handle these attachments.”

“Simple. I married your father.”

“That is not an option,” he said firmly. “The agreement I made with Hichele must be honored.”

“If you are so certain, then you know what you need to do,” his mother replied. “Vekko will make a worthy mate for Mandy. You and he are much alike, and he’s the closest to her age.”

Akkadi nodded. He had to give Mandy up in order to respect his betrothed and his duties. He had to watch her mate with Vekko and be satisfied knowing he had done what was right.

Even if it wasn’t what he wanted to do.

“If you will excuse me, I must prepare to leave,” he said.

“Safe travels.”

Akkadi left with a stiff bow. She was within her duty to seek a suitable mate for Mandy. After all, he’d turned Mandy down as a potential mate.

He wanted to tell his mother to marry Mandy off soon, but he wasn’t ready to give up the consort he couldn’t bring himself to sleep with. Technically, he could keep her up until the night of his ceremony with Hichele. Mandy would remain under his personal protection, untouched by his cousins, until Akkadi managed to rid himself of the attachment. After three months, their mutual attraction would surely wear off. He’d be able to wed Hichele with a clear conscious and Mandy would go to Vekko.

He tried to convince himself this was the best, logical course of action. Akkadi’s sense of dissatisfaction deepened. He had two days to think things through.

He went to his personal ship, turning his focus to the upcoming negotiations. At least Vekko was coming with him. No arrangements could be made, if his cousin accompanied Akkadi to the treaty talks.

 ******

If you enjoyed this chapter, please vote!