Chapter Thirteen

a/n: first of all i apologise for the 4.6k words man i literally couldnt stop writing it was so strange

anyway id like to share a piece of exciting news! I got my first fanart from @lilamysteries! AHHH shes an incredible artist and incredible friend :) ITS ON THE SIDEBAR YOU SHOULD ALL LOOK BECAUSE ITS REALLY SOMETHING ELSE

OKAY THIS DEDICATION IS A LONG TIME COMING IT GOES TO @LarrysLube_  BECAUSE THERE ISNT ONE THING SHE DOESNT SUPPORT ME WITH AND SHE ALWAYS LEAVES THESE PRECIOUS MESSAGES ON MY MESSAGE BOARD AND SHES JUST SO LOVELY ALL AROUND I WANT TO EXPRESS MY LOVE BUT THIS A/N IS ALREADY ANNOYINGLY LONG

15k reads and 150 votes away from 1k am i dreaming this is crazY i honestly didnt expect this response. AND LAST NOTE! PLEASE READ END OF THE CHAPTER MESSAGE!

In the end, it was Harry that made Louis do it.

He told him that he wasn’t ready yet. He told him that it would probably set him off in ways nothing else had. He told him it was a bad, bad idea.

Yet Harry had heard him talking on the phone with them late one night and he coaxed Louis into changing his mind. Harry promised Louis was going to be okay because Harry would be there right next to him the whole time. Harry promised Louis that this was the next step of recovery for both him and his family. Harry promised this was the best thing to do.

He sat Louis down and explained in a reasonable way why it made sense. The way he talked and elegantly laid out the simple idea made Louis desire it enough that he halfway believed it could work. And maybe the thought of letting Harry down when he had so much confidence in Louis solidified his determination to do this one, small visit.

After all, they were his family. Louis owed this one favour to them.

He told himself he wouldn’t fail.

{***}

“Louis.”

The voice was rather whiney from the other side of the bathroom door. Louis could picture Harry leaning against the wall, his lips painted downwards in his halfway-crooked frown of concentration. It was a little worrisome how well he could picture the image in his mind, really. Louis thought maybe he spent too much time with Harry.

“I’m getting presentable,” Louis answered back with a hint of annoyance. “I can’t walk in after three years and look like I’ve been camping in the Underground and living off scraps.”

 “But you never look like that,” Harry said simply. “I don’t think you could if you tried, Louis. There are just some people who are naturally unable to look ugly, and you happen to be one of them.”

Louis was struck at a loss of words. He didn’t really know what to say; no one ever complimented him like that. And whatever Harry was seeing, Louis certainty did not. He’d never thought of himself as attractive in any sense of the word, to be quite honest.  Louis was just Louis.

“Harry, quit being ridiculous,” Louis mumbled. “If you think throwing around compliments will get me up early enough to make you tea tomorrow morning, you’re horribly wrong.”