Awkward Conversation Part 3

A.K.A. The part that should have been titled Awkward Conversations all along.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The doors to the Medbay swish open as Kanan Jarrus, formally Caleb Dume, strolls into the room. A bowl of broth cupped in his hands.

He sets the bowl on the nearby table and sits next to the bed which holds his sleeping Padawan, Ezra Bridger, who was snoring softly.

If someone who hadn't known the pair had walked into the room - for whatever reasons a random stranger had, strolling through a medical ward - they'd probably draw the wrong conclusion. Seeing an injured child on a medical bed and a weather-worn father who was barely holding on; instead of a Master and Padawan who were having a conversation at that very moment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kanan sat in his unique meditative position, which consisted of him sitting in a stiff chair for an extended period of time in hopes of conversing with his Padawan.

And, after an hour of self-control - so he wouldn't scratch on his itch on his back - it finally seemed to be paying off.
He was inside... something. It was blank, all of it. An empty sort of grayish-blue tinting the walls and the only illumination seemed to come from Kanan himself.

'Surely this isn't Ezra's mind? Sure he seems empty headed at times, but this is a bit extreme.' Kanan thought.
After some time a faint light appeared in the distance. At first Kanan had though he imagined it, but it grew and pulled him toward it.

The light enveloped him and he had to close his eyes so he wouldn't be blinded.

After blinking away the spots clouding his vision, Kanan saw Ezra sitting on the ground in a meditative position with his legs closed.

"You plan on coming out soon?" Kanan asking, sitting down across from his Padawan.

"A simple 'hello' would've worked, Kanan." Ezra said, opening his eyes.

Kanan smiled, Ezra opened his eyes this time. It was progress.

The smile fell from his mouth, "They're worried about you. I'm worried about you."

Ezra frowned before shifting into a more comfortable position, "I can't get out. I don't know why, but I can't."

Kanan sighed, "It's fine, Ezra. We were all hoping you'd be with us by now." Kanan paused, "Ezra... who did is to you?"
"Does it matter?" Ezra said quickly, before attempting to cover it up, "Besides, revenge isn't the Jedi way."

"But protection is," Kanan stated, "I - we, the crew - all want to do whatever we can to protect you. You're family, Ezra."
Ezra was silent for a moment, " ...There's nothing you can do."

"Ezra-"

Kanan was cut off, "No, listen Kanan, these guys are bad news. They make the stationed Empire on Lothal look like child's play. They've gotten past the Empire, past the Rebellion, past everyone. There's nothing you can do to protect me from them."

They sat in a silence neither wanted to break.

Ezra was the first to speak, "They weren't a problem. They won't be a problem. I got in their way, so... they roughed me up. Made an example of me. It won't happen again."

"Ezra, it shouldn't have happened in the first place!" Kanan stood with his eyes clenched shut. His harsh tone softened, "I'm going to talk to the others... Come back to us Ezra... Please."

With that, Kanan turned from Ezra and opened his eyes, his physical eyes opening as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hera stood in front of him, a frown present on her face, "Five hours, Kanan. Five! Could you at least tell us next time you decide to go catatonic?!"

Kanan winced, "Sorry, sorry... I was talking with Ezra."

Hera went from irked to interested in .25 seconds, "How'd it go."

Kanan checked to see if the Medbay door was closed before speaking, "His speech pattern was a little off, but at least he opened his eyes this time."

Hera smiled, "Well that's good." When Kanan refused to look at her and kept frowning she asked, "What's wrong?" No answer, "What happened?"

"He told me who did... this," Kanan gestured to Ezra's comatose body, "to him."

"You know who?" Hera asked, and Kanan could practically see her revenge plan.

"Not their names, just that they're bad news. Imperial level bad news."

"Did he say if they were involved?" Hera asked.

"Not specifically, but I don't believe so." Kanan answered.

Hera huffed before cocking her hip, "Well that certainly narrows it down."

Behind her Ezra whimpered, and Hera was quick to turn and move his hair out of his face in a soothing motion.

She turned back to Kanan, "Let's talk outside."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry that I haven't written in forever. Sorry if it sucked or was rushed or if they sounded robotic.
So just figured I'd make it clear, this story takes place about halfway through in season one. So Ezra still has long hair, Kanan isn't blinded yet, the crew's bond is growing (this story helps with that), and the crew is typically on Lothal. Um... that's my best guess of when this would take place.
Sorry if this story has gone downhill, sorry it's short, and sorry that I don't know when I'll update next.
I'll do my best to update, I promise.
Thank you for reading, and love PINEAPPLES!!!XP