Chapter 17 - The Waiting Room

Shane’s P.O.V

I sat in my chair, watching Drew sleeping peacefully. He was curled up in a chair opposite me, sleeping soundly. Every occasion, he would stir slightly and smile, causing me to smile a little myself. Although I wanted to see how Kier was, I really didn’t want to leave Drew. Especially after all we had been through

I looked around the waiting room and remembered how many times I’d been here over the years, with Drew, with my mum, with Kier and now with Laurence. I’m surprised we didn’t have our own ward or our own beds by now. I remember that one time when Drew had been knocked unconscious and I was waiting in the waiting room for him to come around so I was allowed to go and see him. I remembered that girl that was waiting there with me. Her boyfriend had been in a car crash. From what she told me, things didn’t look hopeful. But she was so strong. She told me all about the plans they had for moving in together, getting married, having children. She had so many dreams and so much hope. I envied her for the strength she showed.

Drew stirred in his sleep. He yawned and opened his eyes slowly, smiling when he met my gaze.

“You took your time getting here Shane” He smirked.

“Stuck in traffic. Besides when I got here, you and Kier were fast asleep. So I hadn’t missed out on much.” I answered.

Drew half smiled and stretched. “Where is Kier?”

“With Laurence. He’s in a stable condition again so they let him go back in. Do you wanna go see how they both are?” Drew nodded and stood up, taking my hand in his.

We walked the short walk to Laurence’s room in silence. I had my arm around his shoulders firmly and he had his arm rested on my waist, pressing his side as close to me as he could. We stopped outside and he looked up at me.

“Shane. I’m not sure I want to do this. I hate seeing Kier upset. I just want Laurence to come back to us. I really do. He makes Kier so happy.” I heard the sadness in his voice.

I stroked the side of his face and lifted his chin upwards so he could look up at me. “He has Kier to pull him through Drew. He’ll be fine” I leant down slightly and kissed his lips softly. “Now come on, let’s check they are ok”

I took Drew’s hand in mine once again and squeezed it tightly as I opened the door. We were greeted by the beeping of machines telling us that Laurence was still here. I looked up and my heart melted. Laurence was lying peacefully on the bed in front of us, as he had for weeks. Next to him lay a very slim Kier, who had his arm draped over Laurence’s waist, his head resting on his chest. Laurence’s arm was wrapped around Kier’s shoulders. They were both sleeping soundly, all the pain they were suffering had seemed to disappear. Drew looked up at me and smiled.

“I really hope when Laurence is better, they get together. I mean look at them, they’re perfect for eachother”

I chuckled softly. “Yeah. They do look cute together don’t they. Maybe that’s what’ll pull them both through this ey?” I squeezed Drew’s hand comfortingly before turning to leave Kier and Laurence to sleep in peace.