Chapter 14 - Waiting

Drew’s P.O.V

I’d been watching Kier pace the length of the waiting room for about half an hour now. Every occasion, he would stop and run his hand through his hair and let out a scream of frustration. I couldn’t even begin to imagine how he was feeling. If it was Shane in there I’d probably react the same. I sighed quietly so that only I could hear myself.

“Kier, sit down. Please” Kier ignored me. “Kier please, you’re making me feel dizzy with all this pacing you’re doing.”

Kier stopped in his tracks and turned to look at me. “I don’t care how you feel Drew. I just care about Laurence. You don’t know how I feel. You can go straight home if you wanted and see Shane whenever you want. You can go home and know full well that he’s going to be alright. But imagine Drew. Imagine if you went home and learned that Shane was in hospital? You’d only care about him then. You wouldn’t give a damn about me at all.”

I felt myself cringe at what Kier had said. “Ok then Kier, if that’s how you feel. I’ll go home shall i? I’ll leave you here if you wish and tell Shane not to bother coming later on.”

Kier sighed, ran his fingers through his hair again and sighed. He sat himself down on the chair next to me and clasped both his hands together. He hung his head low so that his fringe flopped in front of his face.

“Drew. I didn’t mean it like that. I’m sorry Drew, I really am. I’m sorry for snapping. I just don’t know what to do”

I wrapped my arm around his shoulders and pulled him towards me. He rested his head on my chest. “It’s ok Kier. He’ll be ok. He has you to help him get better. He’s just having a rest that’s all.”

“But Drew. What if he’s not ok? What if that was the last time I saw him?” I don’t want my last memory of him to be surrounded by beeping machines with nurses pushing us away. He can’t leave me now. I’ve only just started to feel better again. I’m not meant to be happy am i?”

I stroked the hair out of his eyes with my free hand. “Nonsense Kier. If you want him to get better, he will. Because he needs you to believe in him like he believed in you. You’re just going thorugh a rough patch. Anyway, Kier, when was the last time you slept?”

“I haven’t slept properly since his accident. I’m scared to sleep incase he wakes up and thinks he’s alone.”

I sighed. “Sleep Kier. I’ll wake you if something happens”

Kier stayed silent afterwards. It wasn’t long before I started to hear gentle snoring coming from Kier motionless body.