Chapter 12 - The Hospital

Shane’s P.O.V

The hospital was only a ten minute drive away from the house, but it felt like ages. Drew sat in the passenger seat next to me, tangling his fingers between mine. Kier was sat on the back seat, staring out of the window. Nobody said anything for the whole entire journey. We pulled up in the hospital car park and were greeted by Luke. His eyes were puffy from where he had been crying, but he still greated us with a warm smile.

“Hi guys” He wrapped Kier into a hug first. “He’ll be ok Kier. Especially now you’re here”

Kier didn’t answer him. He just stared blankly at the hospital doors

“He hasn’t said anything since we told him” I whispered into Luke’s ear. Luke nodded and guided Kier inside.

Luke took us to the waiting room where he had been for the past hour or so. I was sat in the middle of Kier and Drew who both instantly curled themselves up and rested their head on my shoulder. I smiled at Luke who sat opposite me. “How is he doing Luke?”

“I don’t know. They haven’t told me exactly how he is yet. All I know is he’s had his brain scanned and he’s in stable condition. That’s all I know. But a stable condition could be anything really couldn’t it?” Luke was exhausted, I could tell.

I looked down at Kier who was staring at the doorway, his face was blank and showed no expression at all. I nuged him gently to get his attention.

“Are you ok Kier?” I asked him quietly

He shook his head. “I’m worried Shane. I’m really worried.”

Kier’s P.O.V

I’d been sat in this waiting room for near enough two hours. I’d spent the majority of that time staring at the door, hoping that it was all a big joke and Laurence would walk through there perfectly well. But deep down I knew he wouldn’t. I snuggled myself closer to Shane, thankful that I wasn’t alone in all of this. We were all quiet, apart from the gentle sound of snoring which I presumed came from Drew.

“Mr Illingworth?” A voice broke the silence and caused me to snap my head upward. A nurse was stood in the waiting room, a clip board in her hand. She was smiling warmly at us and something about her instantly made me feel better.

“Yes. That’s me. How is he?” Luke asked anxiously.

“He’s in a stable condition. We won’t know how extensive his head injuries are until the morning. But you can go through to see him now if you wish.”

“Is he awake?” I interrupted, sitting up in my seat.

The nurse shook her head. “I’m afraid that Mr Beveridge’s body is in a state of shock right now. The brain had shut his body down into a comatosed state. He is unresponsive at the moment.”

I felt my feelings drop and a lump rose to my throat. The nurse continued to speak “If you’d like to see him Mr Illingworth, he’s just down the corridor and the second door on your right”

“Is it ok for Kier to go?” Luke asked quietly. The nurse nodded in response before leaving us.

I looked up at Shane. “He won’t wake up soon will he Shane?”

Shane shook his head and squeezed my shoulder with his hand. “Come on Kier. Laurence needs you now”

“Can you come with me?” I asked him

“It depends. Luke are you ok looking after Drew?” Shane asked.

“I’ll be fine. Go on. Laurence needs you Kier more than he needs me” Luke looked slightly defeated.

Shane took my hand and gestured for us to go. We said our goodbyes and made our way down the corridor. It was painfully white and clean, the smell of antiseptic filled our nostrils. The only sound was the sound of machines beeping from several rooms. We found the second door on the left quite quickly. I stood still staring at the door. Shane squeezed my hand before opening the door and stepping inside.

As I looked at Laurence, I felt myself taking a sharp gasp in shock. The man I saw in front of me was barely recognisable. He was lying perfectly still. His face and arms were bruised and grazed. He had wires and drips attached to his arms and a mask attached to his face that was helping him to breath. Several machines were arranged around his bedside, showing different numbers and beeping. His eyes were closed and he had no expression on his face. He didn’t look in pain and he didn’t look peaceful either.

I slowly walked over to Laurence. I leant over him and softly kissed his forehead. He felt warm. I smiled at him and stroked his hair, before sitting on the chair next to him. I grasped his hand with both of mine and watched him for a while, hoping he would flutter his eyelids open and laugh at me being so silly. I felt tears well up in my eyes. This couldn’t be happening. Not to my Laurence anyway.

“Kier, I’m just going to check Drew’s ok. Will you be alright?”

I nodded at Shane and watched him leave before turning back to Laurence.

“Laurence?” My voice was quiet. “Laurence it’s me Kier. Some date this turned out to be ey? Funny old restaurant. Oh Laur, what mess have you gotten yourself into? But you know you prominse me that you wouldn’t leave me again? Well you’ve got to keep that promise now. You’ve got to stay with me. You have to get better. I promise I wont leave you. You wont ever be alone in here, ever. And if I’m not here, then Luke, Shane or Drew will be. Because we care about you so much. We really do. But none of them more than me Laur. I ….” I felt myself choking up “I love you Laurence” I leant forwards and kissed him once more, before curling up on the chair I was sat on, still keeping a firm hold on his hand, scared that if I let go, he would be gone forever.