Chapter 7 - Timids Forever

Shane’s P.O.V

I’d pretty much blanked Drew since I got back in with Laurence and I could tell he regretted what he said. I was stood in the kitchen making myself a drink, watching him. He was sat on the floor holding his bass guitar. He was playing a tune that the three of us had written years ago. It was something he did now when he was really upset and worried about something. I sighed. I wasn’t giving in to him. I moved myself into the living room and sat myself down on the settee. Drew immediately stopped what he was doing and appeared to tense up. There was an awkward silence between us for a few moments. It was Drew that spoke up first.

“So Laurence is in with Kier now?”

“Yep” My voice was flat and cold

“Seems to be going well. I’ve heard no shouts”

“Nope”

“Should we check up on them?”

“They’re fine”

And with that, Drew was silent again and started to play with the strings of his hoodie absent minded.

Drew’s P.O.V

I turned away from Shane. He was still mad at me and a couldn’t bear it. I didn’t mean what I I said, I really didn’t. I loved kier to pieces, but I hated how he was. I hated the stress he was putting us through. I hated the fact that Shane was stronger than me, he can deal with this. The last thing he needs is me moping around. Maybe he just didn’t want me around anymore. Maybe this situation would be a load better without me dragging Shane down.

I looked at the photograph in front of me. It was me and Shane on our 1st year anniversary. We were both dressed in black skinnies and a shirt and tie. Shane wore his favourite black waistcoat and I was wearing the grey blazer that he had brought me. We were stood under a tree near our old house. I had my arms wrapped around Shane, holding on for dear life, my head resting on his chest. Shane had his arms around my shoulders, he was looking at me, a soft smile on his face. I felt myself smiling.

That was back before things were complicated. Back before our parents found out we were more than just friends. Before the abuse started. I hunched myself over and rested my chin on my knees. I wish I could take back everything I had said. I wish Shane would talk to me. I wish things were easy again. I felt a lump rise in my throat and tears started to roll down my cheeks. I wiped them away quickly and tried to silence the sobs and sniffs that followed, but it was no use.

“Drew?” Shane’s voice came from behind me. It was softer than before. I refused to turn around and look at him. I heard Shane get up off the settee and wondered where he was going. Before I could think of anything else, two arms snaked themselves through my arms and around my waist. I was pulled backwards into Shane’s lap where I curled myself up.

“Shane.. I ..I’m so sorry. I wish I could take everything back. I haven’t given up, you know how much I love Kier and how much I love you. I’m scared of loosing him Shane. And I’m scared of losing you. I’m so sorry” I managed to blurt out before another wave of sobs hit me.

“Shhh Drew. I don’t hate you. It just annoyed me that I thought you were quitting after everything we’ve all been through. Besides, I think Laurence will help him. I really do. And then we can go back to how things were. Maybe when Kier feels a bit better again, we can start that band project we wanted to do. I heard you playing earlier. It sounded great”

I smiled up at Shane and he reached a hand to my face, stroking my cheek then lifting my chin upwards. He lent forwards and pressed his lips against mine. He always felt so perfect. We stayed like this for a while until I had composed myself.

“Shane. Kier and Laurence have been in that room a while now. Maybe we should go check up on them?” I asked quietly.

Shane nodded in agreement and we walked to Kiers room, staying as silent as we could to make sure we didn’t disturb them or interrupt anything. Shane approached the door first, pushing it ajar as quietly as he could. He turned to me, a massive smile on his face. He signalled for me to look in the doorway and I did as I was instructed. There, in the middle of the floor, were two sleeping figures. Laurence was sat upright, resting himself on the side of Kier’s bed. In his lap he held the tiny Kier, who was curled up into Laurence, snoring peacefully with a smile on his face. My heart melted and I started to feel like Laurence was the glimmer of hope that we needed right now.