Chapter 5 - I've Given Up

Drew’s P.O.V

“What now Shane? What do we do now? He’s a mess and all this business has just made him worse. Why did you have to tell him? We could have left it a secret. Then he wouldn’t be in his room probably doing something he’ll regret!” I kept my voice hushed. I was standing outside Kier’s room with Shane and I didn’t want him eavesdropping on our conversation.

“Well, I’m sorry Drew, but I thought that not lying to Kier was a good thing to do. He’d be a lot worse if we didn’t tell him. What would he do if he was walking to the shops or something and saw him? He’d freak out!” I could hear the frustration in his voice.

“He’s freaking out now Shane. And there is nothing we can do. Absolutely nothing at all. I’ve given up Shane” I slumped back against the wall, ignoring Shane’s glare aimed in my direction.

“Never ever say that Drew Woolnough. He’s our best friend. I never gave up on you when you’re parents were abusing you. I never turned away when nobody else believed you Drew. Kier never gave up on you when you were being bullied. He stood up for you Kier, and got his fair share of beatings for his efforts, but he never ever gave up on you. I’m disappointed that you are going to turn your back now, when he needs you the most. I’m going to go next door and bring Laurence around. Maybe it’ll make things better, maybe it’ll make things worse, but Kier isn’t going to stop thinking he’s insane until he believes Laurence is real. So you can do what you want Drew, but I’m going to look after my best friend.” He didn’t look at me as he left and I heard the door slam as he exited the flat.

Shane’s P.O.V

I was fuming when I left the flat. I couldn’t believe what I had heard from Drew just. After everything Kier had done for him, he was willing to just give up on him. And he didn’t want to support me either. Well I wasn’t ready to give up on Kier, not just yet. Not when I thought there was still hope. I stood infront of the door next to our flat. I could hear music playing from inside and the voices of two men singing along. I took a deep breath in and knocked loudly on the door. I heard the music stop and loud footsteps approach the door. It clicked and was pulled open by a tall man I didn’t recognise. He had black hair and a beard and was wearing a lime green cap.

“Can I help you?” His voice was higher pitched than I expected to be, but the tone of his voice was warm and comforting.

“Ermmm, yeah, Hi. I’m Shane from next door. I need to speak to Laurence if he’s in please?” I shifted my weight from side to side awkwardly.

The man in the doorway smiled at me “Sure, he’s just in there” He said pointing down the hallway. “Come on in”

I walked down the hallway into their living room. On one side there were two battered arm chairs and a t.v. In one corner was a drum kit set up and in the other, an electric guitar and amp, an acoustic guitar and a microphone. The guy in the doorway must have caught me looking.

“Do you play any Shane?” He gestured pointing to the instruments

“I used too. I played guitar with my friend Kier. My boyfriend Drew plays bass. We haven’t played since Kiers accident though. He used to sing as well. He had a beautiful singing voice. But he never sings anymore.” I sighed and the guy I was with rubbed my back sympathetically.

“If you don’t mind me intruding, Laurence has told me about your friend. He’ll get better you know. Especially with his closest friends around him. You’ll mean a lot more to him than he’ll let on you know.”

“LUKE! Who’s there?” I heard a familiar voice shout

“Shane from next door Laurence. He wants to talk to you!” The guy answered. So he must be Luke.

Laurence appeared in the doorway. He greeted me with a warm smile and sat down on the chair opposite to where I was standing.

“Shane was just telling me about how he and his friend used to play guitar. We’ll have to have a day one day just playing guitars.” Luke said enthusiastically.

“Luke, that sounds so gay.” Laurence chuckled.

“Whatever Beveridge. I’m going to go shower. It was nice to meet you Shane”

Once Luke had left the room, Laurence’s expression changed to one of confusion. He lent forward and rested his head on his hands. “Where are the others? I thought Kier was coming? And I thought out of you and Drew, you’d be the last person to see me, especially after how much trouble I’ve caused.”

I sighed “Laurence, I’m really sorry for shouting at you yesterday. I didn’t mean it, I’m just really really stressed at the moment. Me and Drew had an argument so that’s why he’s not here. And I need to talk to you about Kier. We told him you’d moved in next door and he freaked out. He doesn’t believe you’re real. He thinks me and Drew are lying to him. He’s in his room and he wont come out. I’m really worried about him Laurence. Worse is Drew’s practically given up. I don’t have much hope left, we need you to help him. Please” My voice started to crack and I could feel I was close to tears.

Laurence nodded in agreement before he stood up and pulled my into a hug. That’s when the tears started to fall. It was rare for me to show emotion like this anymore. Usually I was strong, I bottled things up so that Kier and Drew didn’t see me upset. But I felt so vulnerable at the moment, like the life I knew was changing too quickly and that my best friends were slowly drifting away. If Laurence was my last hope to save Kier, then I was going to take it, no matter how much I disliked fact he had caused Kier so much pain. I’d do anything just to see him smile again.