Isolation

The prison walls shook around Kyle, echoing of other criminals filled his ears. The stench of sweat and decay surrounded him. Kyle had been in many prisons before so this was nothing new to him. He actually didn't mind the loud, dirty environment. This would give him plenty of time to think and plan. Think and plan. A smile appeared on his face as he began to think and plan. Everything would work out, he guaranteed it. He sat quietly in his tiny cell that consisted of a cot and a toilet. This would be temporary until they decided to move him to a maximum security prison.

           "Hey! Newbie, whatcha in for?" A prisoner yelled at Kyle, but he ignored him.

         "Yo asshole, are ya deaf?" Another shouted.

           Kyle was good at ignoring people so this was a piece of cake and frankly, he didn't give a shit about anyone here but himself. What he told Robbins about not being scared anymore was true. Nothing scared him anymore, no even these wimps they call prisoners. There was no need to talk to petty criminals that were most likely in here for stealing a pack of beer or robbing an old lady walking down the street. Where he was going, he would meet people more like him and who hopefully, understood his situation.

             Kyle heard footsteps coming and by the sound on the steps, he guessed that the person named Dole. Even when he was caught, Kyle memorized the sounds of how Dole walked. Kyle hadn't even met Dole when Kyle was a police officer, so he must have been new on the force; he may be even replacing Kyle's spot. He knew that Dole was assigned to be his escort to his new home. That's probably where they would be going right now. Kyle was relieved, he was already sick of this place. He sat back in his bed and listened to the yelling of his nearby prison mates and the increasing loudness of the footsteps. As Kyle expected, Officer Dole appeared in front of his cell.

           "Kyle, it's time to go." He announced, but Kyle already knew that.

           "Aren't you supposed to call me by my prison number?" Kyle asked.

             "Would you like me to degrade you like that? I mean I will if you want?" Dole asked as he got a set of keys out from his pocket.

               "Doesn't matter to me. Let me ask ya something, are you replacing me on the force?" Kyle asked grinning, knowing that the other inmates would hear that he was a cop.

          "Eh, you a cop!" The prison next to Kyle spat.

           Kyle was cuffed and as about to leave with Dole when he said, "Was a cop."

             He smiled at the prisoner who wouldn't see Kyle ever again but the look on the prisoner's face told Kyle that he would never forget his face, not that he was scared. Kyle could easily take on that twig. The two of them walked down the hall of inmates who screamed obscenity at the two men.

            "So buddy, how ya been?" Kyle asked, seeing Dole frown.

            "Quit talking." Dole demanded.

           "I'm truly hurt. I'm just trying to make small talk." Kyle proudly announced.

           When Dole didn't say anything, Kyle added, "Aren't you wondering if I'm upset of the death of my long lost friend, Marcus?"

           Office Dole refused to answer his question. Kyle wanted to make him talk, even if it was to tell Kyle to quit talking. Kyle guessed that Dole wanted to know the answers to his questions but was too stubborn to reply to Kyle. He was excited to mess with all of the police officers who wanted to know answers to questions only Kyle could know. This was just the beginning for Kyle. They could put him in the farthest and most secure prison in the world and yet, they would still hear of Kyle Olive. He would never disappear. Even when they lowered Kyle into his grave, there would still be unanswered questions that would linger in the minds of the people in Colorado.