Rescue Mission

I had never seen pure panic on Kyle's face until now. Whatever was outside, wasn't good. Kyle ran into the kitchen and grabbed a pair of binoculars and cursed loudly as he stared out the window. It hurt to bad to move so I decided to stay where I was. Marcus and Kyle talked in hushed words but all I heard was a boat. The noise was a motor on a boat. Someone had to be here to rescue me. Kyle looked harder as the noise became louder.

            "Shit! It's the police!" Kyle cursed.

           "Brooke! Come here!" Marcus shouted, his fists clenched as he stared out the window.

              "I can only see two officers on board so when they get closer I'll make it obvious that I'm running into the woods and lead one of them away. We'll pick them off separately." Kyle said loading his gun as Marcus did the same.

              "Make sure you stay with the girls." Kyle added as he headed to the back of the house.

            "Brooke, sit down next to Kelly." Marcus demanded.

             This was it! This was the big rescue, right? I prayed that there was backup coming and that these police officers were good at what they did. Brooke sat next to me and I held her hand comfortingly. We were anxious, excited and scared all at the same time. If the officers were killed, we would be doomed. We would be relocated and escaping would never happen.

            "Freeze, stop Kyle." A man shouted.

              Marcus was in the kitchen hiding, waiting for the officer to walk in the door so he could shoot them. Without even thinking about what could happen to me, I screamed, "To your right, in the kitchen," as the officer walked in the door.

            I knew Brooke would never yell out, especially with Marcus having a gun. She was terrified of him so I had to be the brave one. The female officer slowly opened the door, using the door as a barrier between her and Marcus. I didn't recognize the woman but was thankful she had a gun and was ready to fight. She was a beautiful woman with long, brown hair that was tied back into a ponytail. Her emerald green eyes stared into mine, giving me a sense of relief that she was really here to save us.

          "Girls, get down." The officered whispered towards us.

           Brooke and I dropped to the ground, causing me to hold back a scream as my bad leg started to sting. The officer peeked around the door causing Marcus to make the first shot at her. She quickly ducked behind the door, holding her gun up. She returned fire at him but missed. Brooke and I covered our heads as more gunshots echoed throughout the house. Marcus let out a chain of curse words and the gunshots stopped. I prayed that he had been shot and this would all end.

           "Come out now and drop your weapon!" The officer yelled, slowly entering the house.

           She looked around the corner to see Marcus on the ground. She aimed her gun at him, waiting for him to make a move. His shoulder was gushing with blood that pooled onto the floor. The officer walked closer to Marcus and that's when I saw the glistening of his gun peek out from the corner and aimed at the officer. Bang! Bang! I watched as the officer fell backwards onto her back and Marcus lying on the ground motionless. I felt like everything was in slow motion. They both had shot each other and both made a direct hit. I looked up to see a tiny hole in Marcus' head, right on the forehead. It wasn't long before a pool of his blood surrounded him. His body was motionless and that's when I knew he was truly dead.

           I crawled over to the fallen officer as best as I could because I was still injured and my leg was killing me but if she risked her life for me, I think I can endure a little pain to crawl over and help her.