Chapter 17

'I read your book,' he murmured. A hesitant smile appeared on his face.

'I ___ didn't think a book on how to attract the male species would interest you.'

He laughed. It was melodic, alluring, heart -warming and ...sexy.

Concerned by the implicit restlessness amongst the anticipating fans Her publisher suddenly appeared, seeing the hold up in the queue.
'Haley __ introduce me to your charming companion,' she demanded.

Haley tried to ignore her publisher, but she moved closer forcing Haley's attention.

'I ---.'

'Xanthus Laskaris,' he introduced himself, extending his hand, a megawatt smile on his gorgeous face.

Her publishers' eyes widened like saucers when she heard the Greek accent.
'Charming,' she nodded non- stop. Her hand was still shaking Xanthus' non- stop as well.

'How do you two know each other?'

Haley shut her eyes for a millisecond. 'Not now ___,' Haley murmured.'

'Come on!' Her curiosity was heightened by the palpable electric atmosphere. 'You have to tell,' she laughed.

'We met at a bar and enjoyed a bottle of champagne together,' Xanthus supplied.

'Ah,' her publisher nodded. 'She does have a penchant for expensive champagne, she concurred, staring rather impolitely from Haley to Xanthus.

'Will you excuse us for a minute,' Xanthus lightly cupped Haley at the elbow, leading her away from her intrusive publisher.

'Sure,' she nodded, suddenly impervious to the waiting fans, and more curiously intrigued by the sexy, accented stud manhandling Haley.

'Where ___ are you taking me? I can't leave the table!'

Xanthus maneuvered Haley to an out-of-earshot corner of the room. His eyes raked over her curiously, then settled on her eyes. She swallowed uncomfortably. Her eyes shifted from his, to the people queuing at the table for her autograph and back again at Xanthus.

'It says in your book: 'The respect you show to a man, is the respect you attract from a man.'

'I know,' she murmured.

'It also says: 'Don't try to change your man. If change interests you, go into interior designing,' he chuckled hilariously as if he'd found that most entertaining.

She had also thought it quite funny, when she'd written it. She looked away. It was difficult to gaze into his face and not be tempted to throw her arms around him, when she loved him so much and desperately yearned to touch him.

'I know what it says,' she whispered.

'It further  says: 'integrity, independence and confidence appeal to a man and not just your body,' there was a widening grin across his handsome face.

'I know Xanthus. I wrote the book!'

She was almost ready to burst into tears. What good was it writing a best- selling manual telling women How to Bag a Man when her own personal love life was in shambles?

His eyes became gravely serious. 'I told myself you were a witch who seduced me with a secret potion.'

Bile rose in her throat, choking her. 'I'm so sorry,' she whispered. Moisture welled in her eyes. She prayed for the tears to stay put. All she did was cry non- stop since the day he broke up with her.

But he continued, as if she had not spoken. 'Instead, I now know that you are a woman of courage, honesty and innocence. Your feelings for me were real.'