Chapter 9

The next morning Ducas was in Xanthus' office at eight on the dot. Regret washed over Xanthus at the ugly dark bruise on Ducas' face. His left eye looked worse for wear. Silently Xanthus chastised himself. He should never have lashed out at Ducas. He should not have responded emotionally. He was not a man ruled by emotion, yet he felt an obligation to his staff and the family of his staff. Ducas had shamefully crossed the line.

Had Ducas already compromised Eva? He would demand an answer from his sibling. Could she already be pregnant? The young adults of today were so misguided, so irresponsible.

'What if Eva falls pregnant?' Xanthus growled.

'Not by me,' Ducas answered. 'I did not get that far.'

'So you never slept with her previously?'

Ducas shook his head. 'I never noticed her initially. It was she that came on to me,' and when a woman wants you...' Ducas smirked. The stupid grin quickly left his face when he saw the scowl on Xanthus' face deepen.

'You should know better Ducas. You're an adult. She is not!'

'I am human,' Ducas defended.

'You are a man,' Xanthus stated, 'but without honour a man is nothing!'

Ducas looked away guiltily. He felt rightly put in his place by his brother, and he could throw no stones, for he knew his big brother was a morally upright individual.

Ducas looked up at his brother pleadingly. 'I do not mean to do the things I do,' he murmured. 'I want to be like you Xanthus. I don't know how,' he confessed passionately.

Xanthus gripped his brother in a bear hug. 'It is easy, Ducas. Think first about the feelings of others before your own. It is not always easy, but you can start by trying.'

Ducas nodded.

'If you don't Ducas, I will send you to Uncle Stravos' shipyard. 'You will work there and earn the same salary like every other labourer, without any fringe benefits.'

Ducas hung his head.

'Let's go and have some breakfast,' Xanthus slapped him on the shoulder.

A relieved smiled appeared on Ducas' face as he followed his big brother out.

       'Wake up. I want to take you sight-seeing,' Xanthus' lips were all over Haley trying to rouse her from her sleep.

'What time is it?' She sleepily murmured, as her hands automatically wrapped around his neck.

'Time you got out of bed,' he smiled brightly.

She looked into his eyes. He looked happy. Happier than the highly strung man she went to bed with last night.

'Weren't you supposed to --- have a talk with Ducas this morning?' She asked with concern.

'Done,' he grinned happily.

If he looked this happy. It must have went well. Haley could not have asked for a better morning.

'I'm happy then,' she smiled, pressing her lips to his.

'Me too,' he murmured huskily, attempting to slide under the covers.

'You're taking me sigh-seeing,' she pushed him off her.

'Haley--- it can wait half an hour,' he groaned.

She laughed, 'you can wait till tonight,' she slipped out of bed, and hastened into the shower.

Yes off course! It's time for "freebies" again, and you can't say no to that.

Xanthus lay on the bed with his hands under his head and pondered on his attraction to Haley. Strangely he had no ill feelings about her using him. She wasn't the first. Weren't they all the same? Just wanting to be seen with him and being with him for the financial benefit they would derive. Not that he had any concerns about finances. He had more than enough to last him a few lifetimes and still have some left over. But it rankled Xanthus that she was just like the others. For some inexplicable reason his relationship with her was different compared to his previous lovers. Starting with the fact that she'd outstayed her predecessors. He'd never been this long with any of his previous lovers. Two months max and he'd lose interest, but with Haley it was almost six months and he had to admit, she still turned him on and he just was not getting enough of her, even if they made love the entire night, the next morning he was like a horny teenager all over her again. Everything about Haley turned him on, her smile, the way her eyes darkened when she desired him, her luscious lips all over his flesh, her gentle fingers caressing his body, when she went down on him...