Chapter 4

Haley glanced at the unfamiliar faces around the room with curious interest. It was a high end fundraising affair, something about addressing the planet's threatened water resource.

The collective wealth in the room was easily higher than the GDP of any one of the smaller countries of western Europe. There were powerful men and women in the room. Confident, high achievers who in their respective fields; were at the top of their games. Not for the first time, Haley wondered why she'd allowed Xanthus to twist her arm into attending the prestigious, invitation only, gala dinner. She scowled inwardly wondering if what had been served did justice to what one termed as dinner. Implicit emphasis was placed on modesty of the meals because of the fund raising nature.

Having an obsession for food, especially free food, the meagre organically grown fruit and vegetable and miniscule low fat and protein titbits littering the grotesquely large plate put in front of her, had Haley's tummy hankering for sustenance...like a juicy hamburger with stacks of cheese.

Instinctively now her eyes scanned the room looking for the tallest figure, the broadest shoulders. They had been separated almost right at the beginning, without warning. When accosted, Xanthus had looked her way with concern. She had nodded as if to say, she would be fine. Little did she expect Xanthus, to be so popular that his arm had been tugged by this sports celebrity or that politician or that businessperson for more than an hour. Her lips pursed, having to settle for the rear view of the dark-suited Xanthus, albeit a very delicious looking rear view. She sighed softly, eagerly anticipating their amorous night together after this function.

The dress code for gentlemen had been white tie and black long tails. She thought he looked arrestingly gorgeous. Earlier at the sit down dinner, though he had been seated across her at their large table, they had hardly spoken. The only contact had been the two occasions; Xanthus had looked into her eyes and smiled appreciatively. That had given her enough confidence to go solo for a little longer. Although the kind gentleman to her right had been polite enough to engage her, until Haley had silently felt if he had uttered another word about extreme temperatures and the abnormal amount of snow New York had received, she was going to scream. Haley had attempted to make conversation with the disinterested lady to her left, but her silent do not talk me look in her eyes, had had Haley staring at the paltry contents in her plate, until the sit down dinner was over.

Now guests were mingling. Sipping inordinate amounts of red wine. Haley wondered if Xanthus would notice her absence if she discreetly slipped away and hailed a taxi home. She stared at the glass in her hand, smiling to herself thinking steam was going to come out of the glass any minute now. She had been cradling it for that long.

'I hope that sexy smile does not mean I have competition agape mou,' a possessive arm curbed around her waist, as impassioned lips pressed against her temple.

Haley gushed at the endearment and was equally surprised to find Xanthus beside her.

"Sexy?'' She laughed.

'Yes. Who is the benefactor of that sensual smile?' he demanded.

'Nobody. I don't know anybody here.'

'I apologise for my absence,' he looked deep into her eyes. It was unplanned.'

She held her breath. Feeling like Xanthus had transported them to a place where they were completely alone, and his smile...

It's okay,' she breathed heavily.

'Excuse the pun, but you are far too charitable,' he offered her a gracious smile.

Haley laughed and set her glass down.

'How about we attempt a clandestine escape?' he murmured in her ear. 'I have had enough of socializing for one night.'