12.

CHAPTER 12.

Louis tries his best not to worry his head off on his way back to the dorms, but he can’t help it. The afternoon’s events could have gone different and he doesn’t mean in a good way. If Jamie was standing a few centimeters over, the bullet wouldn’t have just grazed his skin, but actually infiltrated it. He doesn’t even want to think about what would have happened if Jamie was standing a few inches away because no. He’s not thinking about it.

When he finally returns to his room, all Louis wants to do is take a shower, eat something, and then go to sleep; but the moment he steps through the door, Zayn is bombarding him with questions.

He slaps his hand over his friend’s mouth. “Will you shut up for a minute, please?” When Louis is satisfied that Zayn won’t speak, he lowers his hand. “I’m fine, see.” He does a spin. “Now, if you don’t mind, I need to shower.”

Zayn turns around while Louis moves past him to grab a towel and more comfortable clothing. “Do you understand now when I said that meeting strangers from the internet is a bad idea?”

Louis slams the drawer he just pulled his PJ pants out of. “Are you serious right now, Zayn? You’re acting like Jamie was the one with the gun and tried to kill me. It was a fucking coincidence, so shut the fuck up!”

“No, I will not shut up!”

“Yes you will.” Another voice sounds from the bathroom.

Moments later Josh comes out, towel-drying his hair. He finishes and throws the towel at Zayn before turning to Louis, “Bathroom’s free, mate. Glad to see you’re okay.”

When Louis angrily slams the door to the bathroom Zayn glares at Josh and throws the damp towel back. “Can you not see how serious this is?!”

“Oh, shut up.” Josh just rolls his eyes and flings himself onto his bed. “Liam wouldn’t be too happy with you right now.”

Zayn looks at his feet, “You shut up.” He mumbles in turn.

Much to Louis’ displeasure, Zayn is still in their room when he returns from the bathroom. He doesn’t make eye contact with his friend, because really Zayn is being ridiculous and right now Louis just doesn’t have the patience for it. However, this time Zayn keeps his mouth shut because Liam and Josh are also both occupying the room, and as much as he is unhappy about what happened to Louis today, he knows neither of them will let him get a word in without shutting him down.

Louis doesn’t say a word to anyone before grabbing his student I.D. card (which also grants his access to the dining hall) and and leaves. When he hears someone behind him, he stops. “Can I help you with something?”

“Where are you going?” Zayn asks.

“To the dining hall. Why, wanna yell at me over a sandwich?” Louis starts walking again, this time a little bit faster. He really doesn’t want to deal with Zayn right now.

Zayn catches up to Louis with no problem. “Why are you being like this?”

Louis completely turns around, so he is facing Zayn. He doesn’t care that he’s a few inches shorter than him because he still gets right in his face. “Why do you even care, Zayn? It wasn’t all that long ago that you had no problem ditching me for Liam. So what’s changed? It hasn’t been all that long.”

Zayn doesn’t step back or waver at all. He knows that, yes, sometimes he wasn’t the greatest friend to Louis, but what he is saying now just isn’t fair. “Don’t give me that bullshit, Louis. You know you’re my best friend and if anything happened to you I don’t know what I would do - especially if I could have done something to stop it.”