Chapter 17

"WE WONNNNNN!"

She was not the sort to jump around on the streets but the excitement in the air was so infectious, she couldn't resist. Adi didn't need to jump. His eyes were shining brightly looking at her hopping around like a kangaroo. He then busied himself with his phone, trying to book a cab. Aditi turned around and saw him fiddling with the phone. She walked up to him and asked, "What are you doing? Celebrate with me!"

Without looking up, he said, "We need a cab. We'll celebrate once we get one."

"You won't get one now. Give it time. Let the crowds clear."

He looked at her with a frown and said, "And what do you propose we do till then? And don't say celebrate!"

"Killjoy!"

He shot her a dry look but it was marred with a smile.

She took hold of his arm and asked, "How about a walk? Look there's a ledge there."

"We're going to walk on a ledge?"

"I'm going to walk on a ledge."

With that, she went over to the footpath and climbed onto the ledge and began walking trying to balance herself with her arms out.

He walked over to her and strode beside her on the road.

She said, "So...tell me something nice."

"Like what?"

"Anything."

She tripped while trying to walk a little faster. Immediately, a hand slipped into hers, holding her up. She felt her stomach respond with a swooshing sensation. It showed up on her face in the form of a smile. She kept her eyes trained on the ledge, not wanting to slip again.

Then, she heard him say, "When Madhura and I were little, she wanted a treehouse. She would beg for one every day. She was only five or six, I think. Small details like the fact that we lived in an apartment was not going to deter her. Baba didn't know what to tell her."

Aditi looked up at him and asked shrewdly, "You did something, right?"

He nodded and replied, "Baba and I worked on a tiny little wood house in the room she and I shared. It had enough place for her and her dolls. She came back from school that day and we had it all ready for her. I even painted this little sign with her name and stuck it on the door. She was so happy that day. Well, she spoke of little else for the next 3 months. Got a bit annoying but..."

Aditi didn't know what to say. She just squeezed his hand tighter and said, "That's...really sweet."

He ruffled his hair and said, "What about you? Tell me something nice."

She replied, "Well, nobody ever built a treehouse for me in my room, that's for sure."

He laughed and said, "Ah well, you didn't know me then."

"I wish I had, Adi."

He looked at her suddenly with an intense look in his eyes. He hesitated as though he wanted to say something but couldn't. She bit her lip uncertainly and asked, "How's the spouse hunt coming along?"

"It's come to an abrupt end, thankfully."

She jerked her head up and asked, "What? How come?"

He looked caught out but recovered quickly enough. He replied with a rather amused expression, "I've decided to put my time in India to better use."

She raised her eyebrows but decided to keep quiet. She was sure it had to do with work and didn't want to poke her nose where it didn't belong. He tugged lightly on her hand and asked, "Tell me something nice."

She stopped walking and looked at him to say, "On one condition!"

He waited with an expectant look on his face. She continued, "You have to walk on the ledge now."

"Easily remedied." With that, he climbed the ledge in front of her and took her other hand in his. She was surprised at herself for finding this gesture so normal that she automatically climbed off the ledge and started walking beside him, hand in hand letting the other one go.

"I'm waiting for your "something nice""

She said, "You know...you're not so bad, Gupte."

"You know...for now...I'll settle for that, Turtle."

Author'sNote: Okay,I know I promised some of you that I'd post these chapters yesterday and I'msorry for the delay. Anyway, thoughts? Purab shippers, I know 3 chapters and noPurab might be boring for you guys. I hope Adi made up for it. :) And Adishippers, totally want to know what you guys thought of these 3 chapters!Waiting and wondering! :D Until the next set of chapters! - S