6 My Brother's Beta

© Caitlin Shepherd 2011

Hey guys :)

Sorry that the new chapter’s late, but I’ve had a lot to do the last two days. I mean, I was mentally kicking myself because I so badly wanted to upload for you guys!! I mean, the last chapter got over 100 VOTES!!!!!!

Thank you all for voting, reading, fanning and whatnot! It means the world to me n_n

Enjoy *__*

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Chapter Six

It was just before dinner on Saturday that Van found me. Issy and the gang had all gone out shopping (due to the fact that they all had perfect A grades), leaving me here by myself.

I was eating an apple slowly, while reading Romeo & Juliet. It’s weird; so many people talk about this book, but I have no idea what it’s about. All I know is that the dude dies in the end.

Anyway, I was just having my last mouthful of (what I hope is) curry, when a tall figure sat casually down next to me. As soon as he did, the cafeteria grew silent, aside from the many gasps echoing around the room.

“Hello, Bethany Smith,” Van said extremely formally. I looked up to see a smirk on his rosy lips. “How are you today?”

I shrugged. “Fine – until you showed up, that is.”

He put a hand over his heart, mocking pain. “That hurt, you know.”

I just stayed silent. I pretended to read my book, but it was extremely hard, considering that a really cute boy was sitting next to me, peering over my shoulder to read the book too.

“Are you ready?” he asked huskily, his face only inches from mine.

I raised an eyebrow, playing dumb. “For what?”

He chuckled lightly. “For our date, of course.”

I shook my head. “It’s not a date, but yes, I’m ready.”

I gathered up my stuff, slowly placing it all in my backpack. I knew that it was stupid to slow down the inevitable but I was hoping that his phone would ring and he’d have to be swept away by his father or something.

But, alas, his phone didn’t ring, and he took my slow pace as a false signal to help me with my stuff and grab my hand.

But, then again, I didn’t really let go of his hand.

“So,” I said, while failing to get my stuff from him. We had started walking, and he was content in carrying my bag for me. Most girls would be happy about that, but I’ve been taught to be independent since I was young. “Where are we going?”