5 My Brother's Beta

© Caitlin Shepherd 2011

Chapter Five

Apart from the day I shifted, the day of the final rehearsal for the Charity Modelling was probably the most interesting thing that happened to me within that year.

The first rehearsal had gone off quite well, and apparently I was the 'perfect person to close the event', or so says Mrs Clynell, the director of the catwalk. Apparently I was going to wear some really expensive thing that the other girls are afraid to even touch, let alone wear.

And, even though this was the final rehearsal, they wouldn't let me try on the bloody thing yet.

"... And, as soon as the song gets to the end of the bridge, you step out. Smile, but do not grin under any circumstances, and do a short twirl when you get about halfway. By this time, no one else will be on the catwalk, so everyone's attention will be on you. Do NOT stuff this up, Bethany." I had heard this very speech about ten times already, all from different people. I don't know what it is with this school, but these sort of functions must be really precise.

"Okay, how about I give it a go?" I asked, before she could go on to tell me about my 'eye language' directions, what ever that is. "With the actual dress on?"

Mrs Clynell laughed humourlessly. "Of course not, silly! The dress is very valuable – we can't risk it being ruined."

"Then why are we modelling it, considering this is a charity function?" I pointed out, but kept my tone friendly so then I wouldn't come off rude.

"Because, Bethany," she said, her voice hinting impatience. "There are scouts coming tonight, and if we were all just wearing potato sacks then we wouldn't get noticed, right?"

I tilted my head to the side in confusion. "Then why am I wearing the dress if I'm the only one not interested in a modelling contract?"

She smiled at me, but it didn't reach her eyes. "The teachers had a unanimous decision as to make you our finishing girl, because of certain reasons that I shouldn't say in front of the other girls."

"And what would those reasons be, Mrs Clynell?" I asked, only half-joking.

"Well, I hate to say this, but you're a lot more... adoringly pretty than the other girls," she said, keeping her voice low enough so only I could here. "And if you were to be found in our school, the Charity Modelling department would get quite a pay-rise."

I laughed, like her, humourlessly. "I'm not going to be 'found', because I'm not going to get lost in the world of Modelling. I'm here as a favour for Isabel, nothing more."

"I wouldn't be so sure about that," a masculine voice said from behind me. "With a gorgeous face like yours, you could be found without getting lost,"

I turned around to see a boy that must be a model; that's ho gorgeous he is. He had blonde hair that sited his strong face beautifully, and a pair of set dark eyes that were a colour that I couldn't even begin to describe. He had a tall, fit build that could make any girl swoon, and I could feel myself internally swaying, too.

"But the thing is, dude," I said, trying to swallow my amazement by his beauty. "Even if some random scout decides he likes my modelling or whatever, I'm declining no matter what."

He smirked at me indifferently. "And what if that scout happened to be my dad?"

I shrugged. "Probably the same out come."

He looked at me curiously. "What's your name, girly?"

I sighed – I did not want to go through this again. It's one thing to be friends with a few girls, but with a guy? No, I'd probably fall for his obvious charm and be heart-broken when I had to leave.