28| Setting the scene **Adult Content**

Offloading the bags of groceries on the counter Ethan ran over the list in his mind for a hundredth time. God, he was a nervous mess of energy and had no idea what to do with it aside from a punishing hour—or twelve—in the gym.

Following his conversation with Marshall, Ethan had worked himself into knots about what to say, what to do and ultimately decided there was no point stressing the details. Alyssa was a straight to the point kind of girl, one of the many things he loved about her. No fuss. No pretense.

The original plan had been to take it all to her place, but seeing as there was something to say about maintaining home field advantage, he ultimately decided it had to be here. In his space. The whole point was about opening up his life—his heart and home to her—then it only made sense. As the cabin was so much closer to the gallery and the precinct, they'd always kept to her place but this time, he wanted her here.

In his home. Surrounded by the quiet woods now blanketed under a thin layer of crystalline snow.

He'd fallen for this spot almost the second he'd clapped eyes on it. Here, in the picturesque northern loop of the island, overlooking the stunning ocean vistas. This stretch was home to discreet million dollar getaway properties and rolling farms and protected park lands.

His neighbours were few and far between on this side and he much preferred it that way, not because he was anti-social but because he'd always loved the simple beauty of nature in the shifting grace of the seasons. He'd snatched up this place sometime after Vanessa. He'd been saving up everything he had to get this place sooner.

The first time he'd made love to her had been parked up by the inlet on a blanket in the back of his rusted pickup. Barely sixteen and he'd thought that she was it for him. And he'd never again come close—though at one point he'd desperately tried. Much to his chagrin, when he'd pushed and forced things along with Nicole for two, difficult years, only to realize what a mistake he was about to make. Thankfully she'd saved him from falling on his sword by taking a promotion with the RCMP and left Haven without a backward glance.

After that he'd set the thought of settling down aside. Buried himself in his job. In his family. Kept his head down until Alyssa came into his quiet, orderly world and set it all on its head. She was his opposite in every way and yet complimented him as no one else ever had before. Life felt fuller, brighter—with her around. And he couldn't imagine that fullness or brightness going away.

Stooping to stroke and ruffle Belle's thick silver and white fur, as Beast snoozed on the couch, Ethan reached into his back pocket and slid out his phone. Seeing as it was still within working hours he tried to reach her at the gallery and was pleased when she'd answered on the second ring.

"Hey," Alyssa's voice slid out, warm with welcome. "I was just thinking about you."

"Good to know," he said, pleased that his voice wasn't strained or stilted considering his heart had ratcheted up into his throat. "Listen, about dinner..." Exhaling heavily, Ethan brushed a hand behind his head, mussing his hair. "I was thinking...how about my place tonight?"

The line hummed with silence for only the barest moment before she answered. "Sure. Need me to bring anything?"

Relief poured through him. Warm and cold at the same time. "Just yourself. Seven good?"

"Seven's great."

"Good. Okay. See you tonight." Hanging up, Ethan set his hands to his counter and exhaled. Jesus Christ, he was really going through with it.