Chapter-28

Chapter= 28

Cherryl stood in the dark gazing at the deserted road as the rain fell over her in a drizzle. Her legs felt numb from standing there for so long. Her eyes searched her surroundings for any sign of the blue-eyed beast. Her heart thudded loudly in her ears, afraid, that she will never be able to see Damien but she couldn't ignore the hope that sparked within her now and then, that Damien will come find her for sure; that he was somewhere around her, watching her.

She wanted to wait for him to come out and show himself but she couldn't wait any longer. It was too much for her. Her hope was getting contaminated with the doubt and Samuel's cruel words echoed in her ears.

"No" Her heart whispered in sorrow and her feet surged forward with a new energy.

She ran as fast as she could, not knowing where she was going. She was never good with directions, so she let her feet carry her and her heart guide her. All she had to do was find the hidden path to the castle, then she could go back. It was easier said than done. Wherever she gazed it all looked same to her but her desperation won't let her stop. She never thought she could run this fast. Her lungs burned and her legs ached but she didn't give up.

She was too busy staring into the forest that she didn't see the bright lights approaching her. By the time the roar of the vehicle reached her ears it was too late.

The car hit her with a brutal force. Her body hit the hard ground and her vision turned red with her own blood. Her eyes still gazed into the darkened forest and she thought she saw the flash of blue just before she allowed the darkness to take her away.

Beep...

Beep...

Beep...

The sound flowed around her. She could hear the sound of people murmuring and the shuffling of the feet around her. After a few minutes the sound went away and silent wrapped around her like a blanket. She waited in silence for the voices to come back but they didn't. Her mind was at the brink of giving in to the darkness when she felt a warm touch on her cheek. Her whole body shuddered at the contact. A small warm touch drove the darkness away and her eyes flew open.

"Damien..."

The name escaped her lips. Her desperate eyes searched the room. No one was there, she was alone. But she was sure she has felt his touch. She touched her cheek in an attempt to relive the moment but her fingers were freezing cold not warm like his.

Her eyes recognized the white walls and the ceiling. The smell of chemicals wafting around her was a clear indication that she was alone in a hospital bed. She closed her eyes and let the silent tears fall.

Damien stood outside the room, engulfed in the darkness. The only subject of his interest was the girl laying on the bed in the middle of the room hooked to the machines. His heart thudded painfully again at the site of her bandaged head.

"She's fine..." He whispered to himself in assurance.

He saw when the car hit her and his whole world tilted upside down. He saw when the ambulance pulled up and they lifted her broken body on to the stretcher. They took her to the hospital and he followed. He raised a havoc in the hospital yelling at everyone who came in his way. He was blinded by the rage as he lifted her unconscious body in his arms and screamed at the doctors to wake her up.

He was scared; so scared.

He only calmed down when the doctors assured him that she was fine and that she will wake up in a few hours. He slipped away unnoticed but he didn't leave. He didn't believe their words, he couldn't leave till she wakes up. So he waited and when she opened her eyes he left. He cursed under his breath when he saw a glistening tear roll down her eye. He held back every single nerve which jumped to go to her. After a few minutes her breathing softened and she was asleep.

His fingers traced the glass window of the door through which he was seeing her. He leaned his head on the glass and sighed.

He has to leave. He couldn't let her see him. His first curled and he moved his body away from the door. Agonizing, it was the only word that could describe the way he felt as he moved his feet to walk away from her.

'Samuel was right. He has put her life in danger. Only if he would have never entered her life she would have been fine.'

'But then again, if he wouldn't have been there around her who would have called the ambulance. She would have been lying on the road, bleeding.'

His internal demons battled as his feet carried him forward.

He reached the reception area, reaching the reception desk he picked up a notepad and a pen. The plump lady behind the desk watched him suspiciously as he scribbled something down.

"Call this number and tell them that Cherryl Carter is here in room 137." He said as he slid the paper towards the plump nurse.

She looked down at the paper before picking up the phone. When she looked up again to ask a question, the guy was gone.

She shrugged her shoulders and dialed the number scribbled on the piece of a paper in a neat hand-writing.

Along with the family the police arrived as well. The missing girl has finally been found.

Damien was there hiding in the shadows when her family came in followed by the police. He wanted to go see her as well but he couldn't. He had to leave before somebody saw him. After standing there for a few more minutes, trying to catch any news about Cherryl, he left. As soon as he stepped outside the hospital, his phone rang. He ignored the object and walked to his car. He knew that Cherryl won't give up so easily so he has to do something. Something, he will regret for as long as he existed. He can love with a burden of hurting her but not with the burden of her getting hurt.

'Love can make you do things beyond your craziest and scariest dreams. It's just a feeling, a feeling so hard to let go of once you get a taste of it. Its addiction is far stronger than any drug.' He let out a strangled laugh at his thoughts.

He was done for. He has fallen again, hard this time.

Cherryl woke up, disturbed by all the noise around her. She closed her eyes as soon as she opened them, bright light almost blinded her. Moreover, it was painful to keep her eyes open.

"Cherryl!"

"Cherryl!"

A familiar voice was calling out to her with desperation. It broke her heart to not be able to answer her mother's voice.

After struggling for a few minutes she managed to open her eyes and to keep them open. Her mother stood right in front of her, holding her hand.

Her mother was right in front of her. It meant so many things, that she was home...

She was out of the castle...

And that Damien has abandoned her...