(13) Blindness

Hey kitties! A lot of awesome things are about to happen in this book and I can't wait to write them! Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT for each chapter! It helps me in the Watty Awards! 

***********************************************************************************

"Right here is good," I said, starting to open my car door.

                  Ronny frowned in the rear view mirror. "I thought you said you were house 16? You're making me park ten houses over."

                  "I'll run the rest of the way. I like to run."

                  "In jeans and a t-shirt?" Ronny rolled his eyes and started to move the car foward, when I dug my nails into his arm, making him slam on the breaks. "Why the hell do you want us to stop at a random house?" he demanded.

                  "I told you... I like to run."

                  "Pepper you're lying to me," Ronny turned around in his seat while Gary ripped off a fresh piece of paper out of his notebook and started to form a new doodle. "What's wrong? Does this have to do with Hunter? Your dad?" Ronny asked, shaking my leg with his hand. "You haven't said a word since we saw your dad on the motorcycle and then made that call. Do you want me to go in with you and help you hang up your clothes--?"

                  "I'm fine," I said, starting to gather my bags together. "I just...I'm worried about wearing these clothes," I lied. "And my dad barely noticed my makeup and hair. Maybe I look the same--"

                  "What!? The only reason your dad didn't say anything about your new makeover is because he doesn't want you to get cocky and come home with fifty men that are going to be trailing behind you like hungry dogs tomorrow!" Hungry dogs. My mind thought back to Sin and Hunter and the pack of wolves at the front of the mall. My stomach clenched. "You're going to look amazing, doll! I promise! Right, Gary? Doesn't she already look amazing even in her trash bag clothes she has on now?"

                  Gary briefly looked over his shoulder at me, then nervously looked back down at his drawing and nodded his head a few times.

                  Ronny smiled at me. "Hell, I told you before. If you were a guy..."

                  "You're right." I returned the smile, but it was one that didn't quite make it to my eyes. "Thanks for everything. I'll pay you back--"

                  Ronny looked at me for another moment. He knew I was hiding something. "Don't worry about it," he said dryly, then turned away and placed his hands on the wheel. "Don't forget we have that small assignment for Trinidad."

                  "Got it." I gripped all my bags as best as I could, shut the car door behind me, and started to make my way towards the driveway light at the top of the garage. I was careful to stay out of sight from my bedroom window and any other windows, especially where the curtains were closed. I couldn't take any chances that Sin was still up in my room or peeking through any windows at me.

                  I turned over my shoulder, let down the bags in my left hand and waved brightly at Ronny's car as he pulled away. Once he was out of sight, I dropped the bags in my right hand straight to the ground and started in a dead run around the back of the house towards our backyard entrance gate. Knowing it was locked. I sprinted at the fence, jumped, gripped the tops of two iron poles and hauled myself over the fence, landing silently on my feet like a cat. I crept on the short green grass along my family's stupid new Olympic-sized pool  until I came to my dad's tool shed and slowly pulled open the doors inside.