Should Have Known Better 2

Juliet entered the economics classroom and sat down by the window. It was a seat that provided a buffer from the jocks that sat in the back and also kept her out of the direct eyesight of the teacher. To everyone’s chagrin, Ms. Sommers outlined an enormous project that would take them the better part of the next month – and assigned partners.

“Juliet Collins – Jake Bayer,” she declared. Neither of the two were very happy about that. Juliet rolled her eyes at his friends’ clapping Jake on the back in commiseration as he made his way over to her desk and sat down next to her.

“Sooo, Juliet, right? Are you any good at this stuff?”

“At economics? Not bad,” she shrugged.

“Perfect! You can do the project, and I’ll watch,” Jake sat back smirking.

Juliet raised an eyebrow. “That sounds utterly fantastic, except for the one small glitch in your plan: our grade is based on a presentation, which you have to do half of.”

“Damn it. How much of the grade?”

“The whole thing. Were you not listening to the teacher about three minutes ago?”

   “Not really.”

Juliet sighed. “Life really likes testing my patience, doesn’t it?”

   “Well, at least you have me as a partner.”

“How is that a good thing?”

“Most girls wanted me as a partner.”

“I think I’ll refrain from commenting on that.”

Jake looked at her strangely. “You’re not as shy as I thought.”

“You’ve never talked to me before,” Juliet shrugged.

“Well, let’s get to know each other better!”

“Sounds swell,” said Juliet disinterestedly.

“Sooo, what’s your favorite color?”

“I change my mind, no getting to know one another.”

“What? Why?” Jake sputtered, confused by this girl.

“My favorite color? What’s next? Favorite animal? My astrological sign? The information you could glean from those answers isn’t worth the breath I’d exert telling you.”