Back to Work and Big Surprises

Melody

A few months go by and everyday it gets a little easier. Twice a week for two hours, I go to a therapist, his name is Dr. Singer. He's been really helpful so far in my treatment and he has finally cleared me to fly again.

I decided to surprise Spencer with the news over a home cooked dinner when he came back from the latest case. I'm currently at my home, in the kitchen and I'm standing over a nicely sized pot of spaghetti sauce.

"Hey, Mel are you home?" I hear Spencer ask when he comes through the door. Whenever we started to get serious in our relationship I gave him a key.

"I'm in the kitchen!" I holler back at him and he comes into the kitchen with a bouquet of lilies. "Spencer, they're beautiful!" He pulls me into a warm hug and I kiss his cheek.

He puts the flowers in a vase and then stands next to me while I sauté chicken. "How was work?" I ask him and he looks pretty stressed out.

"Derek nearly got shot, but JJ got the Unsub in time before he could inflict any damage." He fills me in and I feed him a piece of chicken.

"Well, I'm glad that all of you got out safe." I wrap my arms around his neck and pull him in for a gentle kiss. His arms wind around my waist.

"Can I help you with that?" Spencer asks when I'm about to set the table. "Yes, please." I smile at him and go to get the chicken from the kitchen.

I place it on the table and sit down across from Spencer. "So, I have some news to share with you." He looks up from his chicken with an interested look on his face.

"Doctor Singer said that I have made enough progress to start flying planes again!" I tell him excitedly and he smiles widely.

"That's great new, Mel, Hotch said to tell you that whenever you're clear to fly again he'd love to have you back on board. He's been looking for an excuse to fire the other guy, he has a pretty nasty attitude." Spence continues to fill me in on the latest news with the team and I couldn't be more excited to be coming back.

After dinner Spencer helps me clean the dishes and we retire to our bedroom.

...

"Welcome back, Melody!" The team yells happily the next morning when I walk in with Spencer.

"It's good to be back, I feel like my old self again." I smile at everyone but I freeze slightly when I see Strauss.

"Hello, Miss Hunt. I see you're back again. Unfortunately, I already have another pilot assigned to the BAU private plane. So, you're presence is not needed here." She informs us and Derek walks up to her daringly.

"Who is the new pilot?" He questions and she raises her left eye brow and crosses her arms in front of her as if daring him to challenge her.

"His name is Andrew and he's fresh out of flight school." Hotch looks mildly frustrated when he addresses Strauss, "Ma'am with all due respect, we need a more experienced pilot flying our plane."

Erin turns her attention to him and she doesn't look too happy. "Too bad, he is your new pilot and he can't be fired like the last few because the head of FBI for the Quanico unit has granted him tenure."

Strauss walks away and everyone looks to me for my opinion. "It's gonna be fine, guys. I'm sure this guy is a fantastic pilot." I assure them and Penelope comes rushing over with a man by her side.

"Mel! You're back!" She hugs me and I hug her back. P introduces me to Kevin and JJ announces that there's a new case.

I watch as the team files into the meeting room and Spencer gives me a sad look. I mouth 'I love you' to him and he smiles as I wave good bye and take the bus home in case he needs to rush home last minute to grab anything.

When I get back to my apartment I see Spencer waiting for me. "Hey, Spence. Don't you have a case to work on?" I ask sitting next to him.

"Yes, but there's something I wanted to do first." He looks me in the eyes and takes my hands in his before he gets on one knee.

"Melody, when we first met my first impression of you was: this is a strong, independent woman and there's no way she'll ever spare me a glance, let alone agree to go to dinner. But I took that chance and even though you were worried about having a relationship you still took a chance on a common nerd. I am going to be forever thankful for that choice, because now I'm this day; that choice you made three years ago has lead to this moment."

Spencer pauses to pull out a beautiful diamond ring and he holds it out to me before continuing. "Melody Ray Hunt, everyday you make me fall more in love with you, and I want to keep growing our live until we're old and looking back in this day and realizing that we loved each other the least then. Will you marry me?"

Tears pool in my eyes and I can't seem to form the words, so I just pull Spencer in for the most passionate kiss I've ever given anyone. When we pull away he slips the ring on my finger and pulls me close to him.

"I love you, Doctor Reid."

"I love you too, Mrs. Reid."