Sisters

" Katarzyna!!" Fayge hollered as she stomped into my room with little Reuven toddling after her. " Katarzyna, make him stop following me. He follows me everywhere and I want to be alone right now!" " No alone, me come" my one year old brother chirped. He had a wide grin on his face and was attempting to comb his auburn hair with Fayge's brush. " Fayge," I began. " Your brother likes you, that why he follows you. Reuven your sister wants some time for herself, okay." I asked as I picked him up. He scowled and yanked my light blond hair as hard as he could. " No!" Fayge had enough by then " Mamusiu," she yelled as she ran out the room with Reuven on her tail.

I walked out of my room to check on Ewa. I found her in the hall closet where Mamusiu keeps her silk and taffeta fabric. " Ewa what do you think you're doing?" My sister smiles and holds up the end of a blue and silver silk brocade roll. " Mamusiu is making all us girls new dresses and I like this fabric." I giggled slightly. " Where are you going to where such a pretty gown? Why don't you chose some cotton or a knit fabric for a dress, that would be more sensible." " I guess you're right but we can still where fancy dresses around the house right?"she asked. " Yes, but you know Ewa, Mamusiu can embroider some blue cotton fabric with silver and it would look just like that fabic." My sister give me a ridiculously wide grin with crossed eyes, a trick she picked up from Haya, and gives me a hug. She then ran down the stairs to tell Mamusiu what I have proposed. 
      Mamusiu was taking a pan out of the oven and sat it on the table. I sat at the table with the rest of the family and stared at the sight in front of me. On the pan, sat the baked carcass of a lean animal. As well as missing it's head all of it's limbs were gone, it's tail was chopped short.
       "Olga," Haya began, "What is that?"  "Rabbit," Mamusiu replied in an emotionless voice. "It doesn't look like rabbit," "Haya," Mamusiu snapped,"My patience is wearing thin, it's just meat. It's not rotten and is cooked perfectly, now eat!" And with that our meal began. I speared the meat and began to eat. I gaged, this is NOT rabbit. What is it then? Then I had a thought that make me want to vomit. The neighbors cat has not annoyed us all day. What other reason would there be to chop of the animals limbs and tail? Oh my God!
        We ate in silence. Even Haya seemed to be doing her best to choke down the meat. "Kaśia," Mamusiu said addressing me by the diminutive form of my name,"Darling, you look pale, are you becoming ill?" Mamusiu asked obviously concerned. I shook my head, "No Mamusiu I'm fine." She reached over and put her hand to my forehead. "Your not running a fever..." she muttered, "Then what's wrong," I didn't dare look in her eyes, "Why did you cook a cat?" I barely whispered. Mamusiu smirked, "Don't tell, we haven't had meat in over two weeks"
"Olga this is rather good," Tate said, "What did you do to this rabbit meat!" Mamusiu smiled slightly, "That is my secret Stanislaw..." she winked at me. 
I could barely contain my laughter as my father unknowingly ate the neighbors cat!
      Haya gently elbowed me, she on a wild grin. "Hey, why aren't you eating your cat!" she whispered. I gave her a 'how on earth did you know that look'. She simply giggled and put her finger to her mouth,"Shhhh".