Haya

"How do I look little Kotek " Haya shyly inquired as she did a little twirl.

I looked up from my book, she was wearing her new dress Mamusiu made. It was yellow cloth with a white collar, cuffs and trimmed with white ribbon. She had her light brown hair in looped plaits held by a small yellow ribbon. She looked like a typical school girl.

"You look...beautiful.." my cousin would look good no matter what she wore. Haya had an unearthly beauty. 
She smiled ridiculously and twirled again, something she rarely does anymore

."Do you have to go?" I whined

  "Little Kotek you know we have to have our bread ration to be able to eat nowadays." she explained as she slipped on her sweater. "I will be back in less than a hour, I'm nearly seventeen I know how to watch out for myself."

No matter what she said I had a feeling something terrible was going to happen.

   "Be back in a hour." I begged. She smiled warmly and gave me a hug "Don't worry about me Katarzyna. You have nothing to fear." as she walked out the door a single tear trickled down my cheek. Little did I know, I would never see my beautiful Haya again.

       I was playing with Ewa when Tate walked through the door. His eyes were bloodshot and his hands were shaking. "
"Olga we have to talk," he said sharply. Mamusiu didn't even look up from her embroidery hoop "Then say what you need to Stanislaw," "
"Olga," he protested his voice cracking slightly,"We shouldn't be having this conversation in front of the children,"

Mamusiu had a concerned expression on her face as she followed Tate into the kitchen. Ewa looked up at me with confusion in her  face

     "No! Nooo! No! No!" Mamusiu cries were heartbreaking. " Stanislaw! Please, I beg you, tell me it's not true, tell me it's not true!"she wailed.

    "I saw them take her with my own eyes, I'm so sorry Olga" Tate's voice was shaking.

   I knew that she, as much as I wanted to believe differently..."she" was Haya. Mamusiu came into the living room and sat in her chair and put her face in her hands. After a moment she look at me with bloodshot eyes
"Girls come here,".
Ewa and I timidly approached her afraid of the news she was about to share.

"Girls someone reported Haya to the gestapo, they.... Shot her, I don't know what she has done!!"
   Haya... is...dead.
      "Noooooo!" I shrieked. "No no no no no!"
      Mamusiu embraced me and Ewa muffling our convulsive screams. "

     "She didn't deserve to die," I whimpered as my sister sobbed pitifully. "

     "Katarzyna, the innocent never do,"

That night Ewa and I cried in each other's arms, angry at the Nazis..and at God.

A/N I would appreciate it if my reader say what they think about my story.