Epilouge

Ewa couldn't bear to stay in Poland

She never again felt the same security she once had with her family.

She just wanted to resume her life from where she had left it six years before.

She wanted it all back.

Her mother, her childhood, her dreams, her hopes.

It was along time before she could laugh once again, before she could smile.

Ewa never stepped foot in Poland ever again.

Every time she heard that word, the deafening sound of a train screeching to a halt, her mother's screams, and the coughing and wheezing of young childrenwho probably knew tomorrow would not come for them, echoed in her head like thunder. It brought tears to her eyes and crushed in heart into a bleeding clench.

War makes peace useless and turns human beings into vicious monsters.

There is nothing human about war.

There is no forgiveness in war, and the only hope of a end is in the bleak oblivion.

There is a grave in the north wing of a cemetery in central Indiana. It is a simple stone, cracked by vandals and hidden shamefully under an oak tree.

She still visits it every year.

Over so many years, she has never seen a single flower, candle, or token by it that didn't come from her.

There is no glory for the heroes who happened to live in the wrong place at the wrong time in history.

No parades, no mention in history books, no recognition. Just a chipped stone that had once been treated with care, only to have it be disrespected by some rowdy youth. A stone who letters, after seven decades, are barely readable under all the layers of grime.

Katarzyna Litynski.
1933-1947
The End