Marie~ Rocky's Cabin

I was holding back laughter as I watched the scene before me. Erica had her knife planted on William's chest. He looked shocked.

I suppose he's never been beaten by a girl.

I walked over to them. "Stupid mistake, really," said Erica. From the look on her face I could tell he said something similar to her when he thought he won.

"Well done, Erica! William, you could learn a thing or two from her." A scowl spread across his face as the Tamirs congratulated Erica.

I smirked and looked back at my targets, each arrow directly in the center. I glanced up at the school, and from a dark window I saw a bulky frame watching me. It irritated me, being watched, so I looked away. I couldn't get rid of the feeling that I knew him, yet he didn't seem familiar. I looked back at the window and he was gone.

Shrugging it off, I directed my attention towards William and Erica. She had dropped the weapon, but a small drop of blood bled through his shirt. I knew a tough guy like him would be in dire need of medical attention, so I grabbed my bag and pulled out some bandages and wound cleaner.

"Let me treat that wound for you," I said. He followed me over to the bleachers and tugged off his shirt. I cleaned off the scratch as a precaution, and saw that it was in the shape of a heart.

"Look. A heart," I said in a mocking tone.

Marilyn, who hadn't moved from her spot on the bleachers, had a strange look on her face. William gave a groan. "A heart? She defeats me and leaves a heart?"

"Get used to being beat by girls, sweetheart," I said, slapping his back and returning to my targets. "It'll never stop."

I halted in front of the targets. I could feel the eyes on me as everyone watched.

I held my bow and grabbed an arrow. Nocking the arrow, I adjusted my grip and aimed. I pulled the bowstring taut, my hand resting on my cheek. Then I released. I heard the crunch as the arrow hit its target. Looking up, I saw that it had landed just like the others.

"Well done, Marie," said Tamir as I retrieved my arrows. The teachers left with Marilyn, and we were left alone on the training field.

The three of us returned our weapons to our rooms and parted ways for our classes.

I had a private healing class with Professor Mildell, which I dreaded attending. It felt so wrong, with Dani hurt so badly and nothing I could do to help. It just wouldn't feel right with someone else training me.

I sat alone in the vacant classroom as the professor burst in. She was clearly busy. "Oh Marie! I'm so sorry. Go ahead and turn to chapter twenty six in your book."

I did so, and found a picture of a large wolf next to the title "Werewolf Bite and Transition". For the next hour, I learned about how to treat bites and help with the transition to a werewolf as a person was bitten. It seemed like a gruesome and painful process.

"My husband was bitten, you know," said Mildell. "It was awful. I thought I lost him twice, and his transition took two months."

"That sounds terrible," I told her as Marilyn's voice filled the school.

"I need Marie Prewitt and William Trooper to come to my office immediately." I grabbed my books and nearly ran to the door.

"Goodbye Professor," I said, going as quickly as possible to Marilyn's office. I ran up the stairs coming to the sixth floor. I walked quickly down the maze of hallways until I came to the office. I pushed open the door and found a familiar bulky frame standing next to Erica and Marilyn.