Marie~ Introductions

I pulled the sheets up to my neck as I rolled over. I couldn't get Erica's gentle understanding out of my mind. Somehow, she had penetrated the walls I had built around myself, and that was a difficult task. I tried as hard as I could to never get close to anyone to protect myself from pain. But somehow, Erica and Dani had let themselves in, and I liked it that way. I felt as if I could talk to Erica, open up to her. And opening up was not a thing I usually did.

I felt good when I helped Erica. Her relief of sending the letter was reward enough. If I still had parents, I would hate to leave them. She didn't seem to deserve to worry, she seemed too kind. William, however, I wasn't sure about. He was undeniably attractive, but cocky and distrustful. I now saw why Marilyn had used the stronger mind control on him.

I wondered how Dani was. I hadn't heard anything bad since the morning, but she had to be in terrible pain. Flashbacks of the reunion filled my mind. I could have done something to save her! She didn't have to be in so much pain!

As I closed my eyes for the last time that night, one thing stuck in my head.

It was my fault.

I woke up early the next day. Seeing that Erica was still asleep, I slipped out of the room and up to the sixth floor. I walked silently down the halls, the smell of coffee filling my nose. I snuck past offices until I found the room I was looking for: the records room. I walked in and stepped onto a grey platform, looking up at the large screen.

"Erica Ravenson," I said in a low voice. Her face and records popped up immediately. "Erica Ravenson," the system's voice said chirpily, "Writer, age eleven." I quickly muted it, but I looked at the screen in disbelief. She was only eleven? She had acted so much older! I looked at her face again. She did look to be about eleven.

I closed out of her records and quietly said, "William Trooper." His picture and information pulled up. He was twelve, and I wasn't surprised. He had seemed about that age. I left his records.

"Marie Prewitt," I said. My face showed up. I scanned over my information. Healer, age twelve. I would be thirteen soon. I sighed, preparing to go back to the room, when an idea came to mind.

"The technologist," I nearly whispered. The system overrode the mute as it began to repeat over and over, "Error: no match. Error: no match." I closed and muted it as I returned to my dorm.

The morning had gone by very quickly, I thought, sitting in my history class. "So, class, who can explain why Sallius Fortei and Rellius Fortei had different beliefs and were against each other?" asked my professor. My hand wandered up. "Yes, Marie."

"They were twins, but their father, Emmius Fortei, always favored Sallius, from the day they were born. Their mother, Jillianne, was compassionate and loved Rellius. When the regulars began killing the magical, Jillianne was murdered. Rellius wanted to seek revenge, but Sallius wanted to keep peace, as he had learned from his father," I answered. "Good, good!" she said, "Now, can you tell us how the B.C.I and M.F.P. were formed?"

"When Emmius died, he was the leader of the magical. Sallius would inherit the leadership. Rellius became angry, because Sallius would never run the magical in the way that he wanted, so he formed his own government, who sought justice for those who were killed; an eye for an eye. Ten years after the split, Rellius and Sallius had continued fighting, until one day, at the top of a mountain, their powers overpowered them, and they both died. They each had a son, Mellior and Ritius. Melior was good and followed in Sallius, his father's, footsteps, forming the B.C.I. But Ritius was evil and twisted his father's true beliefs, forming the M.F.P." My teacher smiled.