Erica~ Stupid Mistake, Really

I sat in the library after lunch, doing some Common Spells homework. Glancing at the clock above the door, I began closing my books and putting them away. With my arms full, I walked to Marilyn's office for my first writing class. I was the only writer in the school, other than her, and even then, she was double powered with both writing and mind control.

I worried about the class. I hadn't tried any spells yet- what if I did badly? I wondered what it would be like. I had read about it, but no books described the experience in full.

I came to a halt in front of the menacingly beautiful door. I knocked twice and awaited a response. "Come in!" I pushed aside my worries and entered the office. Turning to where the sofas and magic items had been, I was shocked to see a small elegant desk and chair instead. Drawing nearer, I saw a large simple piece of paper and a pen. "Have a seat, just set your books down." I did as I was told and awaited her further instruction.

"Have you read anything about writing and its magical power?" she asked. I nodded. "It's all wrong." I was puzzled. Wrong? How?

She recognized my confusion. "Just... Be prepared," she began, "Well... You should know by now that you are able to write something and will it to happen." I nodded. "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Said event occurs, it takes from your energy. The smaller it is, the less energy is consumed. For example: if you wanted to bring someone back from the dead, it would be possible, but you would die. The energy consumption is quite a shock at first, until you get used to it." She paused and let it sink in.

"We'll begin with something simple. Try changing the color of the pen's ink." I took the pen and wrote the simple phrase: "Turn the ink in this pen to blue," Marilyn smiled. "Now, will it to happen."

I wasn't exactly sure what to do, but instinct seemed to take over. I closed my eyes and simply willed the ink to be blue. I felt a surge of energy, and that was the last thing that I could vividly remember.

I awoke on a sofa next to the desk. I must have surprised Marilyn, because when I sat up her eyes went wide. "How did you... It took me three hours to wake up after my first attempt," she said in near awe. "H-how long did I take?" She looked at the clock. "Fifteen minutes."

I had succeeded in my ink changing, and Marilyn was quite impressed. On my second try, I went through the same experience, except I only passed out for a few minutes. Over the hour, I slowly got better. "Turn the ink in this pen black," I wrote in the purple ink.

I sat still, willing it to happen, but bracing myself for the energy consumption. I felt the surge of energy and felt significantly weaker, but opening my eyes I discovered my success. I had not fainted for the first time. Examining the pen, I saw that the ink had changed.

Marilyn smiled at my achievement, and I found myself smiling too. "Very good for your first day, Erica. You're doing better than I did as a pupil."

I was radiating with pride. "Now, you better get on to your next class." I was disappointed to leave, I wanted to learn more, but I was excited to tell Marie about the class. Gathering my books, I left the office and headed downstairs for gym.

I met with Marie outside the gym, and began telling her about my class with Marilyn. "Wow. She really said you were better than her as a pupil? She's like one of the most respected and powerful people in the magic world. I think she's only second to the president, Adar Colbert. But I wouldn't be surprised if she could beat him." I grinned.

Before we could finish our conversation, the doors opened and Professor Tamir let us in. Today I would be fitted for a weapon, along William. Marie had already been through the process before, and although she worked well with many weapons, the bow was fit for her.