Erica~ The Prophecy

Erica~ The Prophecy

I sat with the strange, but remarkably sweet, cat on my lap. I thought about my family, wondering when I would next see them. I tried to seem strong and confident, but on the inside I was crumbling. I felt as if at any moment, tears could start pouring from my eyes. But I could not do that. I took a risk by coming, it was my decision. So I would do what I set out to do.

The thought of the prophecy- the reason I was here- at my fingertips, just feet away was incredibly enticing. I wondered what it was about. Perhaps it held the key to my future. But I couldn't read it, not yet. I knew that Marilyn would have to be the one to tell us.

I tried to get the thoughts and regrets out of my head, so I began to think about the academy. The second I walked into the elegant library, I knew I belonged. I could have taken a seat by the window and stayed there for the rest of my life, reading and writing. The architecture and design was immaculate throughout the entire building. Each floor had its own kind of beauty.

I wondered how the school system worked in the magical world. Was it similar to the system that regular humans were used to? I couldn't help but think about school as I was used to- and my friends. They must be grief stricken, along with my family. I wish I could tell them that I was okay, to not be worried. I felt as if there was a rock in my stomach each time I thought about my life and what I had left behind.

A sound was heard from outside the door, and the cat put her ears back, her sapphire eyes wide in fear. When the door opened, she calmed as Marilyn walked in, a tall red headed girl behind her. As Marilyn looked at me, she gave a small smile. "I see that you have met Zeia," she said, "You are quite lucky. She isn't friendly to many." I heard the red head agree under her breath as she avoided the cat purring in my arms. The girl took the seat next to me as Marilyn sat down at her desk.

"William, Erica, this is Marie Prewitt. Marie, this is Erica and William," said Marilyn. She took a deep breath.

"I know you must be very curious as to why you are here, but I feel as if it is too soon to speak about the prophecy. I will begin, instead, with a brief history of the magic world. Magical people have always lived among normal humans, and for a long time, they coexisted well together. However, shortly after the renaissance, regulars began killing the magical. Some tried to get their powers, others saw them as a threat. Whatever the reason, it soon spread everywhere: and we were no longer safe. We split into two groups: the Bona Confortare Intelligentiae, B.C.I., who stood for protecting the regulars from magic and their own unintelligence, trying to bring peace. There was also the Melior Fortis Phaedrus, M.F.P., who wanted to kill the regulars for their weakness and stupidity. We have fought each other for centuries, but as of today neither association has managed to overthrow the other. Up until fifty years ago, it was thought that this was how it would always be. However, we received a prophecy that showed that the exact opposite was true," Marilyn stopped here, and stood up, walking over to the plaque I had discovered earlier. She lifted it up, and hung it from the wall, brushing off the dust. Then, she began to read the words.

"Four will come to change the present,

A Writer, Warrior, Healer, and Technologist.

To rewrite the world's story will be a struggle,

To heal past wounds will be a burden,

To defend what is right and true will be difficult,

To invent a better way of life will be laborious.

But when the four prove true and good,

Choosing the path that they know they should,

Chaos will begin to reign,