Marie ~ A Sudden Change

Marie~ A Sudden Change

The past. It haunts me. What I wish would come back, what I wish wouldn't have happened. I remember it all too well.

I had never had the best life. As a baby and young child, my parents were always gone, assisting in the war. Then they went and got themselves killed on a wild goose chase about the prophecy. I lived at the academy, an outcast and an orphan, until I was eleven. Then I was sent to Danielle Falling as an apprentice healer.

But as bad as my life had seemed, I never imagined what would happen next.

"Marie!" Dani called to me from her room. "Get the spruce and wild berries please, we need to start training!" I quickly gathered them in my bag and rushed to her. Quickly I ran to her, eager to begin training.

"Finally!"she said. "Now, make me something to help a burn."

I nodded, then gathered the necessary ingredients.

Slowly, I began to extract liquid from the aloe plant. I did the same with the lavender. Finally, I crushed some elder flower and added it to the mix, presenting it to Dani in a small, glass bowl. She dipped her fingers in and put it on her wrist, which she had burned by accident on the oven.

"Acceptable," she said. "How long... Seven minutes? Remember, this could be the difference between life and death for sometime with a severe burn." I groaned at her remark.

"Yes, Dani."

"Now, go study a bit and get some sleep before the reunion."

The reunion. I dreaded it more than anything. All that I would get to do was hear stories about my parents from their colleagues and apprentices. Dani thought it would be good for me. I thought it was a waste of time.

I pulled out my Natural Remedies book and began reading about how to cure an infected animal bite.

***

"Marie! Are you ready?"

"No," I responded, although I was. I was trying to stall for as long as possible.

"Hurry, we're already late! " she called back.

Sighing, I grabbed my medicine bag, tying it around my waist, and went to the door of the apartment, joining Dani.

"Ready? " she asked.

I nodded, taking her arm. We began to float high into the air, passing through floors and items.

This was called the Volaei. Basically what occurs is the breaking apart of the smallest molecules in your body to where you become invisible, then the manipulation of surrounding molecules, allowing yourself (and sometimes others) to be transported across long distances quickly and efficiently.

I was able to see myself again, and we were on a doorstep. Music could be heard coming from inside the house. Dani knocked sharply on the door, and a man with shoulder-length black hair answered. He looked somewhat familiar.

"Danielle!" He said. "So nice to see you! And this can't be..."

"Believe it. This is the Prewitt's daughter, Marie." Dani said with a smile. "Marie, this is Nathaniel Colbert. You might know him as the twin of our very own president."

I stared in disbelief. "I didn't even know he had a brother!" I said.

Nathaniel frowned. "Yes, he seems to walk *alone*."

Dani, noticing the change in mood, quickly ushered us all inside, where we were met with loud music and talking. It was dark, but small lamps provided enough light.