Chapter Twenty One

"Wow, red roses. How original, Jack." my mom muttered at the table while we were eating breakfast.

It was Valentine's  Day, but it was World War III in my house. My parents arguing kept getting worse and there was no stopping in sight. I never understood why the arguing started in the first place, but I felt that if I asked that they would turn on me and start yelling at me, which is something I really don't need.

"What was that?" my dad asked even though I'm pretty sure he heard what my mom said.

"I said 'thank you', Jack. The roses are beautiful." my mom said forcefully with a smile, that was also forced.

I looked at my mom in disbelief. My dad always got her roses and she always loved them. The way she's been treating him recently go on my nerves, but my dad also continued it and I didn't feel like being moderator to stop them. I rolled my eyes and got up from the table. There was nothing that was going to ruin my Valentine's Day, because one, me and Joey were alright, and two, I guess you could say he was my Valentine's too.

"Isaiah," my dad said before I could walk out the door. He walked up to me and leaned in to talk quietly for my mom not to here I guess, "you know me and your mother are going on that damn Valentine's Day retreat tonight, right?"

"Yeah, Dad." I replied.

"We won't be home until Saturday, so I want you to watch over the house, okay? Only leave the house to go to school, alright?"

"But, dad, my Spanish lessons?" he couldn't keep me away from Joey, especially after I just went back to him.

My dad raised his eyebrow. "What is going on with you two?"

I don't know what my reaction was on the outside, but on the inside I was screaming. Did he know? "W-what do you mean?"

"I mean, you don't go to him for your lessons for a month, then you go back, then go back off."

I was shocked. "I didn't think you would notice, Dad."

"What, because of me and your mom's arguing?" he asked me. "Look, Isaiah, I know me and your mom have been arguing a lot lately, an-"

"Yeah, why is that?" I cut in.

My dad sighed. "It's just something couples go through, Isaiah." he chuckled, trying to play off. "You'll understand one day." He pat me on the head and walked back into the kitchen. Before I could walk out the door again, he walked back. "And you can go to your lessons, but they have to be here, got it?"

"Yeah, Dad. You and Mom have a good time."

"Yeah, I'll try." he muttered as he walked back into the kitchen.

I sighed and finally stepped foot out of the door. As I walked down the door, I saw him. Joey. He was waiting down the driveway in a gray suit and a red tie.

"Am I missing something?" I asked as I walked up to him.

He smiled and grabbed my hand.  "Come with me." He pulled me to his driveway to his car. I looked around to make sure my parents or his parents or any neighbors were out, but from what I saw, we were fine. He opened the passenger door for me and closed it as I got in.

"What is all this about? Why are you dressed up?" I asked him as he got into the driver's seat of his car.

He looked me in my eyes, smiling. "Isaiah, I love you. You know I've felt this way for a long time and I know it's Valentine's Day and all, the day where you're supposed to spend the day with the person you love...but I want to do that every day with you." He took my hands in his tightly. "I know this may seem corny doing this on Valentine's Day, but..." his voice trailed off. He turned away from me.