Chapter Three

Eileen Quincy-Wells, my mother, didn’t always live big like she does now. Lorna Quincy and Isaac Quincy, my grandparents, lived from paycheck to paycheck and living off of spam and top roman for dinner. My mother always told me when she was little that she was destined to be the first person in her family to graduate from college and to be the first person in the family to live well off and she would buy her parents a nice house to pay it off. She kept her promise. My mother graduated from UCLA with a Bachelor’s Degree. While she was there, she met my father, who was studying for music.

My father’s life story is the opposite.  Jack Wells was born into a wealthy family. Vincent Wells, my grandfather, owned a successful convenient store, which eventually branched out all over the United States while Elouise Nichols-Wells, my grandmother, was a stay at home mother to my father and my four aunts.

My mother and father got married after they both graduated. As far as I’m concerned, according to the newspaper, it was the biggest wedding of the century in Highlands. My mother had her dream wedding and my father married the love of his life. They moved into Paradise Springs, the richest neighborhood in Highlands. My mom joined the Paradise Springs Country Club, and became the head of the Paradise Springs Ladies Book Club. Then I came along and became my parents pride and joy.

The only bad thing about being the only child is that your parents mostly focus on you. They don't have any other kids to pay attention to. I have no one to talk to. Since my mother is one of the leading ladies in the Paradise Springs Country Club and devotes all of her time to it, everyone knows who I am, what I’m doing, and what my next move is going to be. Not only that, my family has a reputation, and I can’t do anything stupid to mess it up.

So it wasn’t a surprise that everyone and most of the teachers at Lorraine High School knew about me already before I even went there.

Registration day before freshman year started was hell. People I didn’t know came up to me, talking to me as if we’ve known each other for five years. Teachers were ecstatic to see me. I couldn’t say the same for myself. I just wanted to get my schedule and get out. The only thing I knew I was going to like about my high school experience was that I was finally going to have my best friend Jasmine with me.

Registration and schedule pick up day for sophomore year was a little bit better. I looked over my schedule when Corinne and I got in the car with my mother. Everything seemed right.

Except my language class.

“Um, I didn’t pick Spanish. I wanted to do French for a second year.” I said. I was supposed to take it with Jasmine.

“I changed that.” My mother said in a nonchalant tone.

What the hell. “Why?”

“Mrs. Mendoza and I decided that the easiest language for you would be Spanish, and since the Mendoza’s are Hispanic, we thought that Joey can tutor you just in case you need help.” She smiled, reassuring me. "You weren't doimy that we'll in French anyway, sweetie. Even Corinne thought it was a good idea to switch to Spanish."

I gave Corinne a look. She smiled sheepishly. "Like your mom said, it's an easy grade. I'm sure Joey wouldn't mind."

Again, planning things without my consent. “Mom, I really wanted to take French for another year.” I said dissapointed.

“I know, sweetie, but just think of this as an easy grade. Besides, who in America speaks French fluently?”

She had a point, but it still didn't make me feel any happier. I still couldn’t stop thinking about me and Joey’s unexpected late summer friendship. I still couldn’t get over how I reacted every time I was around him. The last thing I needed was seeing him every day. It’s enough that we were going to start seeing each other at school again.

"You know, Joey doesn’t know about this either. Maybe when we get home you should go over and ask him first if he can tutor you.”

This didn’t make sense. “So he doesn’t know about this?”

"No.”

I was getting irritated now. “Mom, how are you just going to register me for a class and think automatically that someone will make room for me in their schedule? He could be busy or something.” My voice was strained with frustration.

“Oh, I’m sure he’ll have enough time for you." Another thing that I hated about my mother was that she thought anything could go her way.

“Ok, mom.” I said shortly. There was no use in arguing.

When we dropped Corinne off and I got home, I went straight for my room. I needed to figure out how I was going to approach Joey. I mean, it’ll probably be awkward.

The door opened. It was my mother. “Honey, Mrs. Mendoza and I are going to the book club meeting, so Joey’s going to be alone. I think it’ll be a good time to ask him.” Then she left. I couldn’t argue back. She already dragged me in the pool, might as well swim.

I walked over to the house. I looked at the door like it was going to somehow magically open itself. Why was I so nervous? I took a deep breath and knocked.

“Hey.” Joey said opening the door. That smile.

“Hey…um, can I come in…please? I’d like to ask you something.” I said quietly.

He looked surprised, but he tried not to show it too much. “Sure, come in.” I walked in. I wasn’t a complete stranger to the Mendoza’s home, but it’s been awhile since I’ve been in there. The last time we were there was for Joey’s 8th grade graduation party. Their home was nice, almost as nice as ours. You would think my mom decorated it. He led me to the living room. He was watching TV. “Take a seat,” he said warmly. “What’s this about? Is something wrong?”

I cleared my throat. Here we go. “Actually, nothing’s wrong. You’ll probably be more surprised than I am about this.” I paused, I don’t know why. I guess I was still getting used to the news my mom sprung on me. “Today, I went to pick up my schedule at Lorraine. Everything was fine until I looked at my schedule. I was originally supposed to take French for a second year, but my mom changed it behind my back. She changed it to Spanish, but supposedly it was for a good reason. She said that she and your mom said that it would be a great idea for me to take Spanish and have you tutor me, you know, so I can get an easy grade. This was not my idea at all, my mom just told me about it when we were on our way home.” I stopped. I felt like I recited the Constitution of the United States. That’s the most I’ve ever said to him.

He looked back at me with a blank face like he was taking it all in. Then he smiled. “I think it’s a great idea, honestly.”

That took me by surprise. “Really?”

“Yeah, I mean, there’s nothing wrong with helping a friend right?”

A friend. I never knew he considered me that. “Right. I mean, I just came to you because my mom wanted me to make sure you were on board with this.”

“Yeah,” he smiled, this time wider, “I’m totally on board with this. It’ll be fun!”

I couldn’t help smile back. “So, when would you like to start?” I couldn’t believe this was happening.

“First day would be nice. Just bring your book over and we can start.” He was still smiling. 

“Alright then,” I smiled back. Then the awkward silence. “I should go,” I said in a hurry.

“Okay. So, see you on the first day?”

“It’s a date then.” I smiled, and then I stopped. Why did I just say that?

“Adiós. Gracias por venir a mí y me pide que le ayude.” He smiled again.

I stood there like a fucking deer in the headlights. “What did you say?” I laughed nervously. The last time he spoke Spanish was when he said "hola" to me at the dinner when I was in first grade.

“Bye. Thanks for coming to me and asking me to help you.” He winked, then closed the door.