Chapter Eight

"Isaiah, has your school said anything about the homecoming dance yet?" my mom asked one morning while we were eating breakfast.

It was finally October. Over a month since the "disaster". Corinne slowly but surely started to forgive me for freaking out on her. It was still bothering me how I freaked out. "It's tonight." I said nonchalant. "You probably know more about it than I do." I already knew my mom knew about the homecoming dance. The PSLBC always sponsered the homecoming dances at Lorraine. She probably knew who this year's homecoming king and queen is.

"You know that it's going to be at the Paradise Springs Country Club right? It's going to be one of the exclusive end of the year parties according to the newspaper." my mom said happily. My dad looked at her and rolled his eyes. I laughed a little to myself. I continued to eat my cereal, and cleaned my bowl after I was finished. I grabbed my backpack and went out of the house.

"Hey Isaiah!" I heard a voice say. I turned my head and saw Joey waving at me and smiling.

I smiled and I waved back. "Hey Joey!"

"I was just on my way to school, you want a ride?" he asked me.

I remember him telling me sometime in the past month that he passed his driving test and that he was going to start driving himself to school. I walked over to his driveway. I noticed a brand new car. "Aren't you supposed to wait a year before you can drive friends?" I asked him.

"I can write a note for you saying you carpool with me to school. Come on, what do you say?" he said still smiling.

I gave in. "Sure, why not?"

His smile got wider. "Alright, hop in." I wasn't actuallly scared, even knowing that Joey was a brand new driver. I felt comfortable around him for some strange reason. I guess I can really thank my mom for the lessons. It brought our friendship somewhat closer. As far as I can tell, he was driving smoothly. I looked out the window, and the first thing I see is Jasmine at the bust stop, looking at me. Crap, I forgot about the bus. I felt my phone vibrate in my backpack, but I ignored her. She can miss one bus ride with me.

We got to school pretty early. Thirty minutes to be exact. We pullled into the parking lot. Joey turned the car off and looked at me. "So what do you want to do?"

It took me a second to think. Was there anything to do? "Practice Spanish I guess?"

"Alright." Joey said, readying himself to test me. "¿Cómo te sientes?"

I knew this one. "How are you feeling?"

Joey smiled. "You got it!" Okay, how about this: estoy triste."

"I am sad."

"Right again! Okay, here's a trick one. ¿vas al baile esta noche?"

I just sat there. I don't remember him going over that phrase. "What's that?" I asked feeling dumb.

"Are you going to the dance tonight?" he asked laughing.

"I haven't decided yet." I said. "I'm not much of a dancer."

"Oh come on," Joey said, "that doesn't mean you don't have to go. I'm sure you got some moves in you." he winked at me smiling.

I grew warm. "I guess I'll go."

"Ahem, don't guess. Know." Joey said smiling.

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Fine. I know I'll go."

He laughed. "That's better." He got out of the car and I followed. We both walked to the front of the school and I saw Jasmine there waiting. I knew she would be there waiting for me.