Chapter Seventeen

Christmas Day was only two days after the Christmas party, but I still felt Joey's "I love you" as if he told me it a minute ago.

 I woke up early like I always did when I was younger. I went downstairs to see my stocking filled up and presents under the tree. I took my stocking from the fireplace and sat on the easy chair. I looked at the view out the window: the sun was slowly but surely coming up, revealing the frosted covered street and lawns on the houses. I smiled at the view. This was my favorite time of year and I loved the weather.

I continued to look at my stocking. I pulled out two $50 iTunes cards, cologne, socks, underwear, and thermal gloves for the rest of winter. I smiled at my presents. Before I went to grab my presents, I decided to go upstairs to wake my parents up so I could open it with them.

I walked into my parents room. They were still sleeping. "Dad, wake up!" I whispered.

My dad grunted and rolled over on his back to face me. "Hmm?" he grunted.

"It's Christmas!"

"Oh." was all my dad could say. He shook my mother up. "Come on Eileen, it's Christmas. Isaiah wants to open his presents."

My mother rolled over and smiled at me. "Oh, Isaiah, you're such a kid still."

My mom and dad got out of bed and followed me downstairs. I sat down in front of the tree and opened presents. I looked back at my mom and dad, and even though they were sitting in different seats, they were smiling at each other for the first time I saw in months.

I got down the my last present under the tree. It was in a small box. I looked at my parents and their smile only grew wider. I opened it and saw what was inside. "A Polaroid?!" I exclaimed.

My mom laughed. "Told you he'd like it Jack." she said to my dad.

My dad chuckled. "Your mom thought it would be something different. You really don't have a lot of hobbies, so maybe you could start taking pictures of...whatever."

I got up and hugged both of them. "Thank you." I took the Polaroid 1000 and l took a picture of my parents. I took the film out and shook it. 

"Well, I'm going to start breakfast now." my mom said. "Oh, and Grandma Lorna is coming today. So you're going to need to shower up and be ready around two this afternoon. You know how she likes dinner early on holidays." My mom walked into the kitchen and started breakfast.

"Well, sport, I'm going to go check on the stores and see how they're holding up." my dad said. "I'll see you and your mom in a couple of hours. Merry Christmas." He got up from his chair and patted me on the head

I sighed and got up from the floor and went to my room with my Polaroid. I looked at my phone, which was on my bed. Its notification light was flashing, telling me I had a text. I walked over to my bed and looked. There were texts from Jasmine, Axel, and a couple of other people from school. Before I could set my phone down after replying, I got a new text message.

"Merry Christmas (:" it read. It was from Joey.

I grew warm inside and smiled. "Merry Christmas to you too :)" I replied.

Before I could set my phone down, he sent me another text. "Look outside your window lol" it said.

I looked out my window and saw him in his driveway, looking up at my window. I opened it. "Why are you in the cold Joey?!" I shouted.

"Just wanted to see your face this morning!" he shouted back, smiling.

I smiled. "Hold on a second! Let me go downstairs!" I rushed to my closet and put on a heavy jacket  and shoes and went downstairs and out the house.