Chapter 31: A Rude Awakening

-Kayla's POV-

"Has he returned yet?" a distant voice broke through the endless silence enveloping my thoughts.

"Not yet, no word from any of them." The hoarse masculine voice made my chest contract, it had been too long.

"Can you link to Christian at all?" A feminine voice cut in, the same voice that has been scolding me throughout my childhood years.

"No." Someone gasped, creating a lasting silence above. "That could mean a bunch of different things."

"Not many." My father's distinctive voice chimed in. Silence followed him again. My curiosity spiked, I have no clue what they are talking about. Had someone gone somewhere? Something seemed to rustle inside of me and I felt my body tighten. A growl bounced off the walls of my skull and drowned out any conversation that could have been taking place around me. My throat wanted to scream in fear, but no noise came out.

Mine, the growl became audible and started to repeat itself repeatedly, possessively. Heat surged through my body, leaving me trembling. A warm hand slid its way into mine and I clenched it, pain surging in my chest. Images flashed before my eyes of a previous life, Parker and I at the aquarium, sitting on his couch playing video games, and even the time when I first saw him as a wolf.

"My wolf feels her," Parker's voice broke through the pain and I suddenly gasped, throwing my head back, snapping my eyes open.

"Parker." I gasped and started to scramble on the soft surface I was currently laying on, trying to find my mate.

"I'm right here." He pulled my hand up and brought me to his eye level. My mind screamed to hug him, touch him in anyway I could. I had no control over my body as I plowed into his still form, pressing my lips to his. Another presence inside of me stirred violently, wanting to feel every part of the man that shared my soul. His lips responded to mine immediately, pushing into me with every ounce of strength he had. All too soon he pulled away, a low inhuman growl escaped my sore lips. "Y-you are awake."

"Kayla?" My mom's voice brought my head into reality and I jumped off of Parker's lap.

"Mom?" I thrashed around on the floor until my eyes landed on my moms petite figure, her trembling hand covering her mouth in shock. My father stood firmly at her side, his arm slung comfortingly around her shoulders. "Mom!" I yelled and tackled my parents into my arms, squeezing their warm bodies close with a strength I did not know I possessed.

"Kayla you're hurting me," I gasped and immediately leg go of them both.

"Momma I'm so sorry." My breath came out in pants as I tried to take another step back. My dad reached out and put his arms around me, not letting me go any farther.

"Oh my baby girl you're alright." He sobs into my hair and I feel my mom wrap her arms around my other side, her body convulsing with joy into my shoulder. My heart started to race as I sniffed my fathers scent, the smell of cologne and after shave stung my nose. So familiar, so comforting. My nose started to smell the air more and a ravenous roar erupted in my stomach, the smell of chocolate crowding my senses. My parent's grip on me loosened. "Kayla what is wrong? Are you still hurt? is there any pain?" Trembling, my hands gripped my stomach as pain rocked my system, causing me to lose my balance and fall backwards.

"Kayla." A strong body was there to catch me before I fell. Parker's scent growing stronger than the scent of food. "You haven't eaten in days, you need something in your system. Vince!"

"I'll go make her a sandwich." Parker stands me up right and I see a flock of pack members run from the room and into the kitchen.

"Where is everyone going?" I ask as Parker steadies me on my feet. He laughs,a low rumble shaking his chest against my back.