Chapter 1 - Women & Wine

Copyright © 2013 by Jacquelyn Bipasha (Peridot Angel)

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, distributed, or transmitted in any from or by any means, including photocopying, recording, or other electronic or mechanical methods. Any resemblance to the characters featured in this story or other similarities will be taken into investigation, should a need arise and if necessary legal actions will also be taken.

HIS DARK GAZE WANDERED admiringly on the woman standing outside the window of Antica Miraglia, where he had been having his lunch alone for the last two hours. Right from the time, when she had walked into the ristoranti, she had captured his attention, making every male sensation in his body rise to an unwavering focus. His visit was not in vain. It was her. His sources had been right when they had informed him that she would be around, for her bi - weekly meeting with the ristoranti owner. He had spent the last two hours, watching her as at the same time, enjoying the sumptuous cuisine prepared by Chef Vozzo and the finest wine that they offered him, once they had realised whom he was. A fine meal of pork chops Nebrodian black stuffed with mushroom and cheese, whetted his appetite as he watched her, from the corner of his eyes and throwing the occasional personal glances her way.

Located on the hills above the strip of sea from Capo d' Orlando to Santo Stefano di Camastra, the Antica Miraglia was the kind of ristoranti that always had its customers returning with joy. Most reservations were made at least three months in advance. Nevertheless when he had called just three days ago to make a reservation for one, the Maitre d' warmly welcomed him. The family name Corpillo still carried its weight, even if his father, Davide Corpillo had passed away twelve years ago. Now he was here, the same time and day that he was informed she would show up. And she did.

The ruby red liquid with a slight purple hue tingled his taste buds but not as much as the woman he had been watching. The wine had a fantastic acidity to it and a structure which added deft balance in his mouth. Women and wine were plenty in his life. For the most part, he heard them giggle and moan in pleasure all night. If he wanted warm and pleasant evenings, he had his pick of the ladies just like how he would have a Merlot from the shelf. When in the mood, he had his choices of the inexpensive but hot models in the clubs like having a Melbec. Of late though, he had been craving an interest in being challenged and told what to do. Getting into good wine was an expensive investment, and he had the money from his father to throw around. An endowment that would last a few lifetimes. He had been craving for an exotic form and one as enjoyable as it can take. He wanted the unfamiliar like her.

Her dark colored and outdated business suit could not hide the supple form beneath. Especially from him. And he knew then, like the wine he was enjoying, there was more to this chick than just the humdrum and normal characterization that she was enacting. He wanted to taste her bit by bit as he was doing with the wine. He had watched and memorised every move she made. Leaning back into the wooden chair, he swirled the wine glass gently. As he watched the red liquid swirl in the glass, he thought about his next course of action on her.

She had once or twice looked his way, but those were more of looks that were part of her conversation, just to look around the ristoranti. The full capacity of her attention had been on Lorenzo, the owner. They were just a table away from him. She spoke softly, and he noticed her mannerisms were assured. Not much of hand gestures. Here and there, she had let out little laughter.

Standing outside the ristoranti now, she was answering a call. He had wanted to stop eating, pay the bill and go after her when she had finished with her appointment and headed for the doors. Lady Luck was on his side though. Just as he had lifted his hand off the table to signal for the bill, she chose to stay outside and answer the call. Unknowingly, she let him have a complete view of her five feet frame, a move that he thoroughly enjoyed watching as he ate and drank.

As he set the wine glass back on the table, he rested his chin in the curve between his thumb and index finger, taking in the vision before him. From the soles of her out-of-style black heels, his predatory gaze trailed unusually slowly up the long, curvy calves to a round bottom, and he drew in a stunned breath. A smile curved on his face. His left fingers drummed on the table, slowly. They had a wanting in them, to drum themselves on that lovely looking plump butt. Swiftly, he looked up the length of her body. The streak of luck was in his favour as she turned towards the ristoranti, looking straight in front of him, but her eyes did not meet his. A frown was present in her face as she switched the mobile phone from one ear to the other.

His eyes continued their series of marvel, noting the graceful curves of her waist and coming to rest on the heavy bosom, which rose and fell fast. The animated gestures of her hand informed him that she was, nonetheless, not too pleased with the conversation she was having. The frown in her face had given way, now to an angry shine in her eyes.

Her eyes. He angled his body, in a position where he was able to get a much better view. With his fingers forming a steeple beneath his chin, he gazed at the pair of Lapis-Lazuli with a distant look in them. He wanted a closer look at those eyes later. Her midnight black hair was tied up in a tight bun, at the top of her head. Judging by the thick bun, he reckoned, her hair was long and thick. Too engrossed in her conversation, she was oblivious to his scrutiny on her body.

It was time to make his move, and for that, he had to go near her. Raising a hand, he signalled for the bill which a nearby waiter acknowledged with a nod. His gaze returned to her again. Once more, her back was to him and he grinned widely viewing the length of her spine, his eyes going further down.

"Signore Corpillo, your bill sir." The uniformed waiter placed the tray with the bill on the table.

Very quickly, he pulled out his wallet. Not bothering to check which of his various credit cards to use, his thumb pulled out the one at the top and he placed it on the tray, without looking at the amount. It was too small to look at. Undoubtedly, his mind was more focused on the finer living being just outside the glass window. Indeed, his lips had revelled in the delicacy of wine and understood why it was a highly sought after. In fact, his mouth was still longing to relish more of the La Faro Rossa, which was made from her vineyard and a product the Maitre d' had personally recommended to him.

The waiter returned with the credit card. As he signed on the receipt, an action from the corner of his eyes alerted him that the object of his ardour was on the move. Finished with his signature, he uttered, "Grazzii," and hurriedly placed the card back in his wallet, but not before pulling out a bill to the waiter.

Looking own at the hundred dollar bill in his hand, the waiter smiled broadly. "Grazii, Signore Corpillo."It wasn't every day that customers tipped him with this much generosity. "Passati na bona iurnata," the waiter flashed him a warm smile.

Rising quickly to his feet, "Good day to you too." He nodded to the waiter with a cordial grin of his own. He paused outside the ristoranti's doors, surveying the throngs of people moving about in the hot August mid - afternoon. There she was. She was walking fast, still on the phone. He hurried along. Fast enough to catch up with her and stay close but not invading into her space.

Non capisco," he heard her voice out loud.

No doubt, she was in the midst of a business related exchange. She let out a moan as her free hand rubbed the back of her neck. Suddenly she stopped. He did too.

"What do you mean they cancelled the order? I cannot believe this, Gia. Why would they do this?" She demanded into the phone. A hand positioned on her own hip. "Diu! This is unbelievable."

Mmmm... He mused to himself. Although she had been truly in control of herself back in the ristoranti, she was now much less inhibited as she passed several people, who glanced her way.

She continued walking again. He followed. She stopped. He did too. One hand angrily heaved her bag onto her arm. The arm with the handbag outstretched a little while the other hand still held the mobile phone to her ear. Her words ran on a rapid speed, still angry. He stood with his hands inside his pockets, admiring the scene in front of him.

The dark dull outfit she wore, once again heightened his male senses to her body. Her curves could not be hidden by the dullness of the tight suit, though he wondered what it would be like to view her with different attires or without them even. All the pictures he had seen of her, had her only in the same style of suits, similar to the one she wore today. It was as if she didn't like the attention to be on her. Her face had been free of make - up except for a bit of pale pink lip gloss. But that was about it. "Don't look at me," she seemed to say but her natural beauty was still alluring.

Still, he could not be fooled. With regard to her every move that he had studied, not missing anything about her. Certainly, he was an expert in the ways of women, and from the knowledge he had gathered in the past couple of weeks, and up to this very moment, he knew the one in front of him, would not give in easily. She was the kind of woman who was like the type of wine which didn't want to be touched, moved, harassed, over-heated, over-chilled or left unappreciated. The aging of wine requires the utmost care and is often left to professionals to manage. Like himself. Finding a reason to enjoy that kind of exotic wine flavor is one of the most challenging parts. And he was up to the task. Any other man would prefer to stick to what is comfortable and less dramatic. But not him. She would be difficult to attain but not impossible.

Angling his head, he smirked. All he had to figure out was to unravel her weaknesses and in the way of it, learning how to handle her. He recalled a quote -

"A man of genius makes no mistakes; His errors are volitional and are the portals of discovery."

Sniggering, he nodded to himself thinking on the words of the famous Irish novelist and poet, James Joyce. Removing a hand from his jeans' pocket, the fingers rubbed the stubbled chin as he thought about the next evolution of his plans. He waited for her to continue walking and then followed in gradual steps, deliberately falling behind her.

"I don't understand any of this. They had agreed. The deal was ours so why did they back out now?" Her fingers were grabbing the mobile phone tightly.

"Nadia!" Came the shrill voice from the other end of the line. "This is not acceptable at all. Oh, I only hope papa's heart will be steady. I can't imagine what will happen if he knew we lost the deal. He will be alright, won't he?"

At the mention of her father, Nadia stopped walking. "Gia, do not ever mention anything about this contract to papa. Just let him know that we are still working on it."

Silence on the other line. "Lie to papa? B...But he is bed-ridden? No, Nadia. I don't think I can." Gia replied. The sadness in her voice was clear.

"I know it's the most despicable thing to do to papa. But you know that his heart is weak, Gia. And he has only begun to make some progress now. You do understand why we need to lie don't you?" Nadia replied as a ruthful emotion caught hold of her. Her arm crossed over her stomach, thinking about the lie that she was trying to convince her to sister to tell. But there was no way, she was going to let her beloved papa discover the shocking news. The business was built in his toil, and as now the head of it, she would do something to make things right and get the deal they have lost.

"Gia," With a firm voice she spoke, "do you think you can arrange for a meeting with Mr and Mrs. Evans? I would like to meet them again. Whatever the competition is giving them, we will provide even more. I am not giving up on this without trying again." Her downcast tone voiced.

"I already did. But you know the Evans are quite a difficult pair. They want a meeting in our vineyard...tomorrow."

Nadia smiled, knowing Gia would be always thinking ahead. "Good, we will amaze them tomorrow then. A lunch meeting and they will get to know our wine with food. And they will understand why we are the best." Nadia stated with an air of confidence, straightening her back and looking on at the path ahead of her. Her eyes holding determination as her mind's wheels clicked to prepare for the meeting tomorrow.

He caught her words as he followed behind, her voice was on a high volume, given the strong emotions she was displaying. "Confidence in a woman is very sexy," he felt a need to take her by the waist and thrust his lips to hers. Unwittingly, Nadia was forcing lust to well up within him. Smiling to himself, he knew he had chosen well when he had first set his sights on her.

Continuing with her strides, she spoke on the phone, "Look Gia, don't worry about papa, alright? He is on the road to recovery. We will give him the happy news that we have gotten the..." she paused. An eerie sensation crawled along the back of her neck alerting her that now, something was not just.

"Nadia?"

From where she stood, Nadia's eyes darted left and right. Something or someone was behind her.

"Nadia, what's wrong? Why are you silent?" Came her sister's question.

"Wait a moment, please." She felt Gia nod her head on the other line in silentce.

Slowly, she turned her whole body and spotted the man, who had been in the ristoranti earlier. He was walking towards her. They had been seated a table apart, and during his lunch, he had been drinking from the wine, made in her vineyard. She had recognized the 'A' logo at the back of the wine bottle when the Maitre d' had poured this man a glass of that which was her own creation. In fact, she had even given him a couple of glances in the course of her conversation with Lorenzo. Indeed, she could not help stealing a couple of glances at that very good - looking man.

As he approached her, Nadia noticed his gait was confident and steady. Tall, dark and devilishly handsome, with an attitude that said he was the person who always got what he wanted. Chiefly, she had not been that bothered with him back in the ristoranti as she was all business back then. With him coming closer, she was focused on him now. Where was it that she had seen him before, other than just at the ristoranti earlier? The face was familiar, but she could not identify a name.

With hands in his pockets, he had a look about him - a sharp, assessing dark gaze. To be sure, she craned her neck, noticing everyone was going about their business for the day but not him. He was coming for her. His squared shoulders shaped a potent and dangerous manifestation about him. Up till now, she didn't remember killing or hurting anyone, except for the pesky rodents she had caught sight of in her kitchen. Why was he coming her way? And why her? Diu!

He stopped a social distance away from her, but not looking at her. With her feet poised together, she stood watching and wondering what will happen next. What was he looking at? She followed the direction of his attention. He was looking across the street. She noticed a bakery first and right next to it was the florist. Her gaze returned to him.

Their eyes met. He smiled. She stared. The familiarity was yet present. However, she still could not establish a name to memory. Once more he smiled. She did not and didn't even wanted to nod in acknowledgement. In this situation, she began to hate what his smile was doing to her stomach, making it all soft and gushy. This was unacceptable. She turned away from him, trying to calm down her stomach.

"Gia, I... I'm sorry but what were you saying?"

"Err..No. You had told me to wait, remember? So I am waiting."

Mentally, Nadia wanted to kick herself. Now she was distracted by the handsome Diavulu behind her. Not letting the fact that she had been rude not to return the sexy Devil's smile when actually she distracted by that friendly notion. She forced herself to focus on her conversation with Gia and look for her car at the same time.

The car was parked on the other side of the street, far away from the Antica Miraglia where she had a meeting earlier, with its owner - a regular customer. During lunch time, that was the only lot available for a parking space. Glancing over her shoulder, her parallel view noticed that he was still following her. She shouldn't have looked, but she did. As her sister continued on with more ramblings, Nadia's own mouth suddenly went dry as did her stomach, which was still feeling all fuzzy. When he had smiled earlier, she had felt her knees go weak. A terrible thing to bear.

The eerie sensation crawled up her neck again. This time, the feeling made her shoulder blades quickly hitch together in defense. It was all because of him. She was being watched and followed. Nadia hastened her steps. Her old - fashioned black high heels clicked loudly on the cemented pavement as she cast a quick glance, on the other side of the street, spotting her car. He was still behind her. This was all too strange. How could and why would such a handsome man make her feel like melting butter and at the same time give her the creeps.

"Gia, I am being followed." She whispered, careful not to let her words be heard.

"Oh my Diu! Who? Are you alright?" Gia queried panicking.

"He looks familiar. But I cannot place a name to the face. He was at the ristoranti having lunch while I had my appointment with Lorenzo."

"Oh but why is he following you?"

"I don't know, Gia. He is walking behind me. And...he smiled at me too."

"But you said the face was familiar. Familiar is trustworthy isn't it. You must have met each other somewhere before. A friend, maybe?"

Nadia stopped. Thinking. A friend? Turning to get a closer look, she realised there was no one behind her. The handsome tall, smiling man had disappeared. She looked around the street. He wasn't around. She snapped a quick look at the other side of the street, rapidly scanning the pedestrians. He wasn't amongst them. She turned and looked the way she had come. There was no sign of him anywhere. That is to say he had simply vanished into thin air. Strange. She told herself.

Nadia felt a sharp tug on her arm. She whirled around, coming face to face with a man. Only this one was dressed in dirty clothes and a foul stench emitted from him. His hand was roughly pulling her handbag from her arm. Panicking, she dropped her phone in haste as both of her hands flew to grab hold of the bag's straps. The man held on tight, growling at her, his eyes holding a terrifying menace, sending her a warning to let go of the bag.

"Diu!" She screamed as her nose scrunched in disgust whilst, both her hands held on tightly to the bag. Even as fear began to grip her, Nadia wasn't about to let it go without a fight. With all her strength, she pulled hard and gained the advantage of the bag being more in her space. Some of the passer-bys stopped in shock. One man raised his hand with a French loaf in it, to take a hit on the thief. But the thief was too fast. One of his hands held a shiny knife. Another woman in the small crowd yelled, "Knife!"

Nadia's eyes widened as the knife glistened in the sunlight, showing off its cold steel tip. Terror began to take hold of her. Her hands shook, but she pressed her lips together and forced herself to hold onto her bag. It contained a small amount of money and some extremely valuable business related files. At the same time, her hands wanted to cover her nose so that she would not have to breathe in the foul smell, but her bag was after all, more valuable. And so, braving the stench she let out a shout. "Give me back my bag!"

"Let go of the bag!" The French loaf man shouted to her. "He will hurt you." His own fingers were grabbing the poor loaf tightly that the brown bag it was in tore at the places where his fingers were digging in.

"Let go!" Nadia yelled at the thief. She stepped back, gaining a better support for her balance and gave a mighty tug at the straps.

The thief's patience ran out, and he swung the knife towards her face, shocking her. In a matter of seconds, the foul smelling man with his dirt smeared face and ratty looking beard gave a violent jerk that she was yanked forward, closer to him. Instinctively, one of her arms reached out with its palm in defence, to put some distance between him and her as she came in contact with his body. Diu! Diu! Her mind screamed as an urge to throw up from the bad smell, threatened to rise. The bag's straps broke free from her grasp. She let out a bloody murder scream, but the snatch thief slammed her shoulder hard with a push backwards. And he took off at lightning speed.

Nadia felt herself falling back with, with her arms flailing in the air and a cry for help shot out from her mouth. Her hands helplessly tried to grab something in the air, but there was nothing for them to grab onto. She closed her eyes ready for an impact. Nadia felt a force of muscle circling her waist and a scent of masculine cologne hit her nostrils.

"Signora!" A male voice had her eyes flaring open and brought herself vis-a-vis with a pair of dark brown, concerned orbs. "Are you alright?" He asked.

Nadia found herself gasping inwardly as she caught the full heat of the attractive stranger's expression. He was looking at her with something entirely different in his eyes, than most men did to her. For a major part of her business life since eighteen, she had taken extra care to dress in a way that did not attract attention to herself. The same style of business suits, mainly in black, grey, dark blue and beige made up her wardrobe. A strict regime of early - to - bed and early - to - rise sleeping pattern coupled with a strict diet heavily filled with vegetables and fruits saw to her flawless skin needing no make - up. She had a point to prove; as a woman she would bring Angelus Wineries to greater heights, in an industry ruled by men. As such, it was self - ingrained into her head, there was no need for her to expose skin inappropriately. Any other forms of attention supposing were not business related, would only distract her. Such distractions she can do without. But this stranger... Who was he? What was he? Why was he looking at her like that?

Only now, he was holding her with one arm and she was holding onto him for dear life. Staring without making a move or even a shriek, she forgot about her bag and the smelly thief. She felt his arm tighten around her, causing hundreds of butterflies to flutter around in her stomach, weakening her so much that she was dubious if her limbs knew their functions anymore.

He held her there, right in the middle of the street, with people looking on at them. "Are you alright?" He asked again, holding her close to him. Her palms were resting on the top of his chest.

Oh mio...went her head as her palms remained frozen on the solid wall of muscle. Oh my indeed! He had a body of Heracles, the mythical half - god she used to read about in her teenage years. Her palms could tell by the feel of hard flesh beneath the dark blue buttoned down shirt. Her eyes shot to the wide expanse of his shoulders.

Steadily, he brought her to a standing position as her body obediently allowed his manoeuver. She was on her feet, eyes looking up at him. He had to be about 1.88 metres in height. The stubble on his face gave him an ultra-sexy look. Very Sicilian. He had a thick lower lip and her eyes looked up further. His eyes were unusually intense and had a flash about them. He was saying something, but her mind was not registering what he was talking about.

The side of his hand gently touched her cheek, causing a thrilling tingle to speed up her face and her knees gave away. Embarrassingly she realised it a little too late. She couldn't' stop her hands in time as they reached out and latched onto him. Again. Gripping his shirt, she felt his muscled chest beneath her hands. Now, she felt his heartbeat as well, strong and solid beats, pulsing around her fingertips. He was her Heracles as once again, his arms wrapped around her, holding her in a protective embrace. A sly smile pulled on his lips and he steadied her, but didn't let go.

"Signora," his gaze swept over her, "Are you alright?"

She hated herself at that very moment. Hated how she was getting heated from the inside out and not liking it at all. Gritting her teeth, she realised, to her horror that she had just made a fool out of herself in front of the small crowd that was now watching them. French loaf man was grinning at both her and the dark lord who was holding her. Immediately, she let go of his shirt and wiggled in his arms. Handsome got the hint, smiled knowingly and released her but never taking his eyes off hers. It hit her then.

"My bag," she whispered, particularly shocked at her own voice. She had meant to shout but sounded like a mouse.

"What's that?" He stepped closer and inclined an ear close to her mouth.

Two words. The voice. All of it was oozing sexiness. Alarmed. Intrigued. Her senses were being pulled at in every direction. She blinked at him, forgetting what she had wanted to say. Her mind worked quickly, trying to remember what she had wanted to say. Finally, "My bag," she uttered.

His face turned towards her and then at the man who had run off, now a considerable distance away. They both looked at the villain's back, the distance between them and him getting further and further by the seconds.

"Here, hold these," He handed her a bunch of red roses in full bloom, the several stalks held together by a thick rubber band.

She held them, not understanding why she did, but she did. Her phone lay on the floor, abandoned and broken in two. With the roses in her hands and her cheeks still burning from the very sizzling - mishap of a rendezvous that she just had had, she stood still and watched Handsome speed off. Every part of her was working to memorise what had just happened. She stood, enchanted as the wind blew all around her. The scent of the luscious flowers in her hand and the masculine scent she had inhaled from him, mixed in an intoxicating sensation, filling her inner being.

Sei pazzo, Nadia! She rebutted herself. Absolutely crazy. But she couldn't help looking on in wonder at the gorgeous hunk who had run after the thief.His long legs closing the gap between the thief and himself, very easily. What's wrong with you? You just got robbed. And you lost a deal. Her mind reminded her. But her body began to suppress the working grey matters, choosing o concentrate on the scent and touch of him.

Raul Corpillo! That was his name! Finally, she remembered. She knew him from all the latest gossip about him. Her main source of that information had been Gia, who hounded the gossip magazines weekly. Son of a deceased billionaire - Raul was a well - known Sicilian playboy. Her head snapped back into action, letting this realization sink her heart.

Playboy... That's what the gossip mill had spun all those tales about him.He was the kind of man who effortlessly had women throwing themselves at him. Probably even worshipping the ground he walked on. Gia had mentioned that sometimes the junior, Corpillo had more than one beauty with him. Raul Corpillo, seemed to like his women in twosomes and threesomes, maybe even more. Nadia shook her head at the salacious thoughts.

The moments of elation disappeared. She recalled having seen him inside the ristoranti, enjoying a pleasant lunch of pork chops and wine, which she recognised, was from her own brewery. Did he know whom she was? The way he had addressed and spoken to her... With such a familiarity in his tone, he had addressed her with such concern in those few short sentences. It was as if he had known her for a long time. Such a strange co-incidence, wasn't it. Was it?

She had guarded her heart too well for a long, long time, not letting any man near. There was just no time for romance in her life or even for any thoughts about the birds and bees. In a twenty - four timeline, her life revolved around looking after a business, her ailing father and her younger sister, Gia. Maybe he isn't like that. She reasoned within herself. No, no! Stop thinking like that. She berated herself. She should not be thinking about a man, especially the likes of Raul Corpillo. You are thinking too deeply. Foolish woman.

Raul's long legs easily ate up the gap between himself and the thief. The latter was no match for the billionaire, who worked out each day for at least two hours. He had all the time in the world to work out and keep his body in extreme terrific shape. After all, the ladies liked his body when he took them to bed. As Raul's hand reached out to grab the outer coat of the thief, he smiled. He finally got Nadia's attention.

Holding on roughly, Raul pulled the man back with such force that the thief stumbled backwards. But the thief swung his arm again, and the blade cut through the left sleeve of Raul's shirt. Raul did not bother with the cut on his shirt. He let out a strong kick to the thief's groin. The man dropped the bag with a cry of pain and fell to his knees, hands clutching his precious organ. Several passer - bys were now crowding around the duo. Raul placed a strong, hard knee onto the thief's back as one of the latter's hand, desperately grabbed Nadia's bag.

"Bag!" He commanded.

The thief gagged and beat against the knee on his neck. Raul pressed in harder.

The thief's clenched fist hit the pavement.

"I won't say it again. The bag." Raul's dark eyes burned into the man's.

The hand with the bag slowly raised towards Raul who grabbed it harshly. Lifting himself off the man, he reached into his jacket and pulled out his wallet. He slipped out a couple of hundred bills and threw it onto the thief's face. Glaring at him, he walked away, towards Nadia who had run up behind him, after all. He hadn't expect her to run behind him but internally shrugged the thought away. It worked for him. The quicker he spoke with her, the faster he could proceed with his plans.

"Grazii, signor." The thief got up, clutching the bills in his hand, brushing the dirt off his already dirty jacket.

Nadia braced herself as Raul walked towards her. Her eyes followed his each step. As he got closer, her eyes ran the full length of his frame. The rumors were right. The man was gorgeous like a pearl of the orient, distinct from the rest of the men around him. The wind was now teasing his tousled black hair and those dark eyes held a vigour in them, which had her frozen. Their eyes locked onto each other. The small crowd surrounding them cheered and clapped. Nadia blushed. Raul smiled at the adoration. One by one, the crowd began to disperse leaving Raul and Nadia to their business.

"Grazii," she managed to say when she realised he had been standing in front of her for several minutes. However, her voice was squeaky. It was the effect from being near him.

"Glad to be of help." He handed her the bag.

His deep baritone voice made her shiver. Internally, she forced herself to remain calm, not to show that she was affected by him, being so near her.

Looking down, to avoid his gaze, she remembered the flowers she was still holding. "Yours," she said as she held out the sweet - smelling bouquet in her hand.

He laughed. "They are for you, Nadia."

She was dumfounded at the sound of her name from his mouth. A luscious mouth that boasted of full lips, surrounded by a stubble. Both of their eyes clashed with each other.

Those eyes... her eyes were electrifying! Up closer now and flashing at him. They were a seductive kind of blue hue that made his imagination shoot straight up to the sun above them both. His thoughts drifted to wonder what would happen to those eyes when she was beneath him and in the throes of an orgasm.

"How did you know my name?" Thankfully, her calmness was retuning and she was relieved. Her shoulders eased into a relaxed posture.

Controlling his urges, he distracted himself by letting his fingers comb through his hair. "Daughter of a noted wine expert. An heiress..." he paused, placing both palms, one on top of the other, over his heart. "I beg your pardon. An heiress in her own right. It's hard to miss a face and name like yours."

She smiled and pressed her lips together. So he does know about her. That was a surprise but he was right. The wine business her father had managed for twenty eight years was not as profitable as it had been in the olden days but still they made a decent living. And with her sister not showing the passion to lead but rather more willing to be behind - the - scene, Nadia took over the reins of the business from her aging father. She was an heiress in her own right.

"You are hurt!" She grabbed his forearm.

His head shot to her. Her eyes... lips. Raul wanted to take her there and then, not caring that they were in the public eye. "Nothing. No harm done. See?" His own fingers touched the tear on his sleeve. "There's no blood."

"Oh!" She released his arm, feeling her cheeks flaming. She had to stop touching him. Her eyes lowered to the ground, looking at his expensive Italian - made leather shoes. This man was creating emotions in her. Emotions which her body had forgotten, what it was like to feel; her heart pounding, the bubbling excitement within when a man lavished his attention on a woman.

Each time their eyes met, she lost her bearings. Moreover, she didn't particularly like the vulnerability that was threatening to emerge within her. She knew now who, Raul was though a part of her was still struggling to wave off what the gossip - mongers had said about him in the media circle. There is no smoke without a fire, yes? She believed that. Besides, this was only their first meeting and for her to experience such feelings for a stranger wasn't a good sign. It never was.

Alarmed at herself, that she could feel that much more self - conscious in his presence, she tried to think of a way to divert his attention from her. She looked over his shoulder and he glanced behind him.

"I didn't see it a necessity to call the police. A hungry man is a dangerous man." He said and she nodded but still not wanting to look at him.

A little piece of her mind was quickly analyzing the situation at hand. It was actually too much of a co - incidence. Him having lunch at the same place as her and then following her. The snatching of her bag, well... that she believed was something that could not be controlled. With the economy doing not so well, hunger and desperation forced people to do many things. She noted that he had let the thief get away but not before throwing what looked like dollar bills at the man. Running up to the two men at the last minute that was all she had managed to catch. Did that show he was compassionate and that the rumor mills had only hyped on his womanizing reputation? She wasn't sure of anything at this moment.

Nadia had heard what he had said and was a little pleased that his words had mirrored her own thoughts on the situation. Her eyes shifted to the shops beside them, looking inside the glass windows, pretending to see if the thief was inside any of the shops, getting some food with the money Raul had given him.

Raul turned to see what she was looking at. It was like as if the thief was still there and he was grinning and thanking them for the dollar bills. The billionaire saw through her pretence as her eyes looked everywhere except at him. Victoriously, a smiled curled up on his lips. Raul waved a hand in front of her face. "You should be more careful, signora. A distracted woman is an easy target for such men."

"I wasn't distracted." She shot back quickly, surprised at the choice of words and with the speed she had delivered them.

He smiled and offered his hand. "Raul Corpillo."

She hesitated to reciprocate, looking at the big strong hand. "I know who you are." Her hands busied themselves by holding onto her bag.

"Si, I suppose my reputation far exceeds my persona." He laughed at his own statement.

She did not laugh along with him. Instead, she shifted her weight from one foot to the other with a hint of impatience, looking at her car just a short distance away.

"Can I walk you to your car?"

The hope of light faded. Ah. The rumors were true after all. So this is how he works. Nadia shook her head and held onto her bag with both hands, not knowing how to react to him or his question. She headed in the direction of her car, keenly aware of him following her. "Why were you following me? And you still are." She whirled around to ask, once both of them had safely cross the street.

"Definitely not to rob you." He almost laughed the words out.

Gratefully, she felt her confidence returning. "You were in the ristoranti earlier. And then you followed me. And then give me flowers. What is the meaning of all these?" Nadia's eyebrows arched into sharp points. Her bag was thrown onto a shoulder and arms folded over her chest.

Raul noticed that she was wearing an antique watch. It didn't match her outfit, but she didn't seem to mind. An heirloom from a great grandmother?

"A thank you, would have been nice to hear from the lips of such a beautiful woman." He replied, giving her a wide smile, not wanting to let her get the best of him. Raul knew she was putting up a wall of defense around her. But he was willing to climb the highest wall or handle anything that she threw his way, in a bid to get him to stop bothering her.

Nadia's eyes slid to the side and onto a nearby shop's window. She remembered about the deal which both she and Gia had been working hard on. Now she was upset, over losing that deal which Gia had informed her about and not to mention that she almost got robbed. Almost. Thanks to the gallant and valiant efforts of the one and only Raul Corpillo. Never mind his intentions to hit on her but he did save her bag and she should be grateful isn't it. Her fingers closed around the rose stalks. She felt apologetic towards him for letting her temper loose, when he had come to her rescue after all.

"I apologise, signore,"

"Raul," he interrupted.

She looked up into his eyes, "I apologize, Raul. And thank you for getting my bag." She was very sure and gladder that her own eyes were able to conceal whatever it was that she was actually and inescapably still feeling from the moment he had caught her in his arms. The emotions from being held in his arms were still making her weak on the inside. She paused and looked down at the roses. "And these...though I don't understand why these flowers were necessary, still."

"How about you thank me over dinner? Tonight. I can pick you up at six." His right arm shot out and he glanced at his watch. "You should have enough time to doll up for dinner."

Why this impudent Sicilian? Nadia told herself. "What makes you so sure, I will go out and have a date with you?"

Raul's eyebrows shot up. "I asked you out on a dinner, Nadia." He smiled a very cute smile. "You assumed it was a date."

Isn't it the same? You are asking me out, you idota? She bit the inside of her left cheek. "No, I have appointments." She turned on her heels and walked away from him.

"Nadia, give me your number." He was next to her, matching her stride for stride.

"Is this what you do all the time? Running after women in the streets to ask them out?" Her steps increased rapidly.

"It's not everyday I run after a thief who snatches a gorgeous woman's bag."

"You did not answer my question."

"Let's discuss that over dinner then. I will answer to each of your questions." His arm shot out in front, not touching her but good enough to make her stop immediately.

She did stop, looked at him with arms folded across her chest again. "Look, Raul. I am not interested to have dinner or go on a date with you. I am a busy woman. Unlike you, I don't live off my rich father. I work hard for what is mine." There she did it again, she had spoken in haste and now the anger was flaring in his eyes.

But he shrugged it. The look in his eyes were replaced by something else, which she could not understand and didn't want to. She stepped around his arm, which was still extended out. Unlocking the door, she got into her car. He knocked on her window. With hands on the wheel, she looked ahead, hesitating. Another knock. The glass rolled down.

"I don't give up easy, Cara." He smiled at her. "You owe me a date." Shamelessly, Raul made no effort at all to conceal his own sexual awareness as his index finger tapped very lightly on her cheek.

Nadia jerked her head away, turning to look at the other side, swallowed hard and then said, "I thought you said you asked me out to dinner."

He smiled at her weak attempt to appear cool and calm. "Now it's a date."

She had to give him credit. He played the role of the billionaire Don Juan to perfection. It was all there. That arrogance and confidence that summed up most of his kind. Smouldering looks and a manliness that exuded raw sensuality. Raul Corpillo had it and Nadia was next on his list. Most of her life, from the time she had taken over the business reins from her father, she had dressed and behaved in manners that threw attention away from her and onto what she was working on. This afternoon had been a queer play of events which had brought her onto centrestage. She had no doubt, Raul somehow got himself into the scene, exactly where she would be. The window rolled up again and she started the engine. Without a care to what he had said, Nadia sped away in her dark blue Mercedes, leaving Raul in a cloud of black smoke.

Raul heard footsteps approaching him. "My back still hurts, Raul."

"The two hundred should help you heal." Came the curt reply.

"So, what did she say?"

Raul shrugged. "She will think about me now, every night. And I will ask her out again."

"Ah, so I win the bet,"

Raul was silent, still watching the path in which Nadia had fled from him. His eyes displayed a dark, challenging look. Nadia had contested him, whipping his ego to smithereens. "For now, yes you do, Martino." Raul looked at him. "By the way, it was really a good disguise. I almost couldn't recognise you. And you need to take a shower my friend. You stink really bad."

Martino chuckled. "Anything for a bet of fifty thousand euros. And I apologise for cutting your sleeve. But I had to make it look believable. She fell for it, didn't she?" He continued with his laugh.

Raul didn't utter any reply. Instead, he turned to look in the way Nadia had driven off. Without warning, a new kind of feeling suddenly overwhelmed him. A pristine form of desire rose up in him, in retaliation to her rejection of his dinner offer. Nadia Angelus was now the first woman in history to turn down Raul Corpillo on an invitation.

"Soon, Cara Mia. You will end up in my bed. I never lose a bet or any woman I set my eyes upon." Raul's mind began to work out a villainous stratagem as the fiery, aggressive emotion sank its wanton roots deep within him.