Chapter 8

Kendall sat in her apartment sitting cross-legged on her couch watching the Flyers play the Islanders. The game was currently at intermission and Kendall was currently texting Hayley who was in a class.

To: Hayley

So a little birdy told me that Laurence flew into town this morning.

Kendall giggled lightly as she sent the text. She couldn't help but make fun of Hayley for her little crush on the gap-toothed center. Her phone vibrated on her leg.

From: Hayley

Sean's girlfriend?

Kendall could see already see the shocked expression on Hayley's face.

To: Hayley

Yup. The very one he broke up with a few days ago.

From: Hayley

Bummer. Hey, can I swing by after class? I think my professor is onto me.

To: Hayley

Yeah sure! See you in a few hours.

Kendall put her phone down just in time for the start of the second period. The Flyers had a two goal lead over the Islanders and it looked like the boys were resting on their laurels a bit.

Toward the end of the second John Tavares scored a goal and Brayden landed himself in the penalty box.

"Aw man," Kendall sighed as the camera closed-up on Brayden's face. Liam had awoken from his nap halfway through the second period and she could see him looking in the direction of the TV when he heard Brayden's name.

"Mm," he pointed with his small index finger at the TV.

"What is it, bud?" Kendall lifted Liam out of his playpen as he continued to point at the TV. "Who? Daddy?" She looked at the TV and Brayden was still in the camera's focus.

"D-da," he squirmed around in her arms as Kendall waited excitedly to see if he was going to say what she thought he was going to say. "Dada."

Kendall's face lit up once the two-syllable word left his mouth. "That's right, buddy. That's daddy!"

Liam obviously didn't know why Kendall was smiling as big as she was, but a big grin spread across his face as well. Kendall quickly picked her phone up off the table and sent Brayden a video message and text.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

The locker room was quiet after the Flyers fell to the Islanders in a shootout. Brayden was fully dressed in his suit as were most of the guys. Before picking up his keys, Brayden checked his phone and saw a video message from Kendall. Somewhere in the background Claude was giving one of his post-game speeches, but Brayden was zoning him out as he watched the video of Liam with a smile on his face.

"Brayden," Claude walked up to him and took his phone. "C'mon man focus. What are you watching anyway?"

"Uh," Brayden quickly stood up and went to reach for it, but Claude jerked away.

"Whoa." Claude's mouth fell open as he looked at the screen. "He looks exactly like you."

Brayden managed to grab his phone out of Claude's hands. When the two of them turned around, all the guys were staring at them. "Something you want to share with the team, Bray?" Scott Hartnell asked.

Claude looked at Brayden expectantly, still a little confused about what he just saw a few moments ago. Brayden glanced at Luke who shrugged his shoulders. "Uh," he slid his phone into his suit pocket as all the guys' eyes remained glued on him. "I have a son."

Scott rubbed the stubble on his face with his rough, calloused hand. "So what you're trying to tell us is –"

"I'm a dad."