Chapter 5

Luke walked to Kendall's office and saw that the door was open. He stopped dead in his tracks and kept mentally telling himself to breathe. "Hey,"

Kendall looked up from the papers on her desk. "Can I help you?"

"Yeah," Luke stepped into the room and closed the door behind him. He pulled Kendall's phone out of his pocket and placed it on the desk. "I need to talk to you."

Kendall pulled the top drawer of her desk open and handed Brayden's cellphone to Luke. "Okay,"

"I don't know where to start." He ran and hand through his long, sandy-blonde hair. Luke sighed. "I shouldn't even be the one here talking to you."

She nodded her agreement. "You're right. Liam is Brayden's son."

Luke sat down in the chair across from Kendall's desk. "It's complicated with him right now. He and Kelsey just got back together and then he finds out he has a son –"

"Luke," Kendall stopped him. "What are you doing later?"

"Packing for New York, why?"

Kendall grabbed a post-it and quickly wrote on it. "I don't have a lot of time to talk right now." Her phone began to ring again and more lights began to blink on the other lines. "You should stop by later. I can talk then."

Luke reached out and took the post-it note from Kendall's hand. He didn't know how he was going to get around Jeska or Brayden for that matter. "Okay," he nodded and stood up. "It may be kind of late –"

"Whenever is fine with me." Luke walked to the door and opened it. "Luke," he turned around and looked at her. "Don't talk to Brayden. If he has questions, he should talk to me." He nodded and walked out of the room, closing the door behind him. He walked out of the arena and into the cool, Philadelphia air.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

Kendall placed Liam in his swing and watched as he quickly dozed off. She smiled and sat down on the couch. It was eleven-thirty and she was beginning to think that Luke wasn't going to show. She pulled her legs into her chest and focused her attention on the TV. There was nothing to watch except some highlights from around the NHL on NHL Network.

She was about ready to call it a night around twelve when there was a soft knock on the door. Kendall quietly got up from the couch and walked to the door. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see Brayden standing there in all his glory. He had a hat pulled over his long hair and a Flyers sweatshirt on with a pair of jeans.

"I should've come to you earlier." He said sliding his hands into his pockets. "But I'm here now."

Kendall nodded and moved aside to let Brayden in. She was honestly hoping that she was talking to Luke right now and not Brayden. If anything, Luke was a better listener than Brayden was. And Brayden was so goddamn stubborn.

Brayden was standing behind the couch as he watched Liam sleeping in the swing. He had this look of awe on his face just watching his son. "He looks different from the picture."

She stood next to Brayden. "He's eighteen months now."

"If I didn't find that picture, would you have told me?" His voice was quiet.

"I honestly have no idea." Her arms were wrapped around her body as she watched Liam.

It was quiet for a couple minutes. Brayden and Kendall just stood behind the couch. The only sound in the apartment came from the soft volume of the TV.

"I know you're probably mad at me for not telling you, but I think you and I can both agree that we didn't plan for this to happen. It was my decision to keep Liam. You can make the decision if you want to be in his life."

"I want to be a part of his life. He's my son." Brayden turned and looked at Kendall. "It's just whether or not you'll let me."

She nodded. "I told you it was your decision." Kendall watched as Brayden walked over to the swing. He gently stopped the swing and picked Liam up. Liam's hand balled into fists as he clutched onto Brayden's sweatshirt. She teared up when she saw him getting a little emotional.

"Kendall,"

"Yeah," she ran her index under her eye to catch the tear before it fell.

"Thank you."