Chapter 6

Brayden walked into Kendall’s apartment building to see Liam. He had just gotten home from his autograph signing with Luke at the Oxford Valley mall. When he got to Kendall’s, he knocked softly on the door.

“Hey,” Kendall greeted him at the door with Liam on her hip.

“Hey,” He smiled at her.

“How was the signing?”

“Good,” Brayden reached out and grabbed Liam when he saw Liam reaching for him. “How was –” He paused as he watched Kendall walk to the kitchen. She was wearing small cotton shorts that showed off her long, toned legs. A small smirk crossed his lips seeing the baggy sweatshirt she probably thought would hide her curvaceous body. “Work?”

She laughed. “I doubt you want to know about that.” Kendall stood at the stove, stirring a pot of pasta. “So I’ve been thinking about what you asked me earlier.” She said breaking the awkward silence.

Brayden raised his eyebrows. “About me getting Liam overnight?”

She nodded. “I’m fine with it.” Kendall bit her lip and placed the wooden spoon on the counter. “I just –” she took a breath. “I just don’t want Kelsey anywhere near him. I know you two got back together and –”

Brayden looked at saw she was sincere about what she was saying. He understood that she and Kelsey had a nasty falling out after he and Kendall hooked up. “Okay,” he nodded. “But you don’t have to worry about her. She’s in school.”

Kendall nodded. “Thanks Bray,” she bit her lip when she said the affectionate pet name.

Brayden smiled and chuckled softly. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah!” Kendall had her arms crossed over her chest. “So how have you been?”

He smiled as Liam placed one of his tiny hands over Brayden’s lips. Brayden lightly kissed his palm before shifting him to the other side of his body. “Pretty good, not gonna lie.” He said as Liam giggled in his arms. “So how are we going to do this?”

“I beg your pardon?” Kendall looked at him confused.

“When I get Liam?”

“Oh, right!” She bit her bottom lip. “Well you have a game tomorrow, but I figured you could take Liam until that following Sunday. I figured that you want to watch him and this gives my babysitter a break.”

“Babysitter?”

Kendall gave Brayden an incredulous look. “How else would I be able to work, Brayden?”

“Right, well that sounds awesome. Luke will be happy to spend some time with his nephew.”

Brayden felt Liam relax in his arms and rest his little head in the crook of his neck. Kendall couldn’t help but feel butterflies in her stomach as she watched Liam and Brayden together. Liam was fast asleep in his arms and it made her wish that she and Brayden could work this out.

“How late are you going to stay?” Kendall asked as Brayden walked over to the living room to place Liam in his swing.

“As late as you’ll let me stay.” He turned on the swing and faced Kendall.

“Fine with me,” she turned around and went to shut off the stove and strain the pasta. “Just one question.”

“Shoot.” Brayden had his hands braced against the edge of the counter.

“Are you hungry?”