100 Souls, 100 Moments- 44.073: I Can't

Spirit was having a break-down.

'It's ok, it's ok,' the redhead tried to calm himself down, 'Just breath, breath. In, out. In, out.'

Looking down he saw the practically glowing face of his daughter, all smile and bright eyed as she walked arm in arm with him, her white dress gracefully sweeping with her slow steps.

'Breath. In, out,' he continued his directions as he moved his legs that suddenly felt like lead.

He looked to the faces in the rows of seating staring at the two of them as they went down the carpet and they were like Maka, overjoyed. The scythe weapon felt his throat close up as his eyes fell on the groom who was smirking his face off, red eyes glittering at the sight of his soon-to-be wife.

'It had to be that brat with silver hair, it just HAD to. No, don't think about stuff like that, just breath. In, out,' Spirit told himself, not allowing Soul to get the better of him.

Yet the fellow weapon was now so close, too close, and Spirit realized it was time to let Maka go.

"Thanks," she whispered to him as she turned that radiant smile on him before pecking him on the cheek and taking that extra step up to Soul. As she took her place, Soul reached his hands up and Maka immediately placed hers on them.

'In, out. Don't think about how you're giving her away. In, out.'

He felt the tingling at the edges of his blue eyes.

'In, out. Don't think about how she's just like her Mother, sparkling and pure. In, out.'

Spirit bit his lip as to try and stop the tears. Stein, who was sitting next to him with Marie, let a smirk grace his stitched face as he watched his ex-partner go through pure-agony.

'In, out. Don't think about how...how...just BREATH. You can do this, you can get over this. In, out.'

"And do you, Maka Albarn, take Soul Eater Evans to be your husband?" Spirit heard the preacher somewhere distant, yet it brought his attention back.

He saw his beautiful, only daughter open her pretty little mouth to take a deep breath before saying the obvious 'I do.'

'FUCK breathing!' he screamed in his head rashly as he suddenly stood up.

Before anyone could comprehend what he was doing, especially Soul, he grabbed Maka by her thin waist and hoisted her up on his shoulders, like a bag of rice, before taking off down the aisle he'd taken so pain-stakingly long to come down not five minutes ago.

"I CAN'T!" the redhead mostly bellowed to himself, yet it echoed throughout the whole church, as he took long strides, tears streaming down his cheeks.

But as he felt something connect with his stomach, he found himself doubling over in pain.

"Really," Maka sighed as she climbed off him, having just delivered the knee to his chest, "I'm surprised you didn't try and kidnap me when you walked me down."

Spirit was too occupied with his bawling to stop her walking back and saying 'I do.'