100 Souls, 100 Moments- 23.026: Tears

Soul's eyebrows furrowed in deep concentration as he starred at the black and white keys under his slightly chubby little fingers, trying so hard to press the right ones to make a simple, yet beautiful, melody come out of the old grand piano without the slightest flaw.

He was currently in his daily two-hour piano lesson that he'd gone to for around three years right now, beginning when he was three.

The six year old winced as his finger accidentally landed in between two keys, causing both of them to play when he only wanted one.

"No, no, Mr. Evans." His teacher scolded as he craned his head over as Soul stopped his playing.

"You don't want to hit both the middle C and D, only the C." He said, Soul nodding in agreement at something he'd already known he'd say.

"Now, from the top." The middle-aged teacher who reeked of cigars and whisky ordered, making Soul sigh. He was just a half page, six scores, away from completing the piece, yet now he had to start from the beginning. Five full, double sided pages back.

Closing his eyes and sighing yet again before beginning, he started to gracefully move his little fingers to play the right notes. He felt a bead of sweat travel from the back of his neck to be absorbed by his white undershirt collar as he worked through the musical piece in deep concentration so he wouldn't screw up again. As he finally arrived at the last note, he allowed his finger to rest on the key for a second in an inner victory for finally finishing the piece that he'd been working on for the past two days. Usually he could memorize a piece in half an hour or less, but he was having no such luck with this accursed score.

"Ordinary."

That word from his teacher cut through Soul's slight ego boost, deflating him more then ever. How he absolutely detested that word.

"You didn't have any feeling in that piece, and so it wasn't as good as it could be. You don't want to disappoint your parents, do you?" The teacher continued as he leaned over to easily play the melody that Soul had been having difficulty with up until now.

"Am I right?"

"Y-Yes sir." Soul stuttered. To disappoint his parents was the last thing the young boy wanted to do.

"Well, that is all for today. You are free to go."

"Thank you sir." Soul said, hiding his relief in his young voice as he stuffed his papers into his small messenger bag as he let his stubby legs carry him to the door and then out, making sure not to fall as there was a slightly hidden step down.

His ruby eyes glimmered in the mid day sun as he felt the summer breeze go through his short silver hair. He allowed his young mind to think of better things then the cramped room and stinky teacher. Like how it was Friday and tomorrow would be Saturday and so maybe Mommy would bring him to the park…

But he bowed his head in sadness at the weak hope. Even though he had asked the past five weekends, she had demanded that she'd been too busy and so he had been stuck with one of his ten nannies, all of whom were overly stiff and seemed to be afraid if they did the slightest thing that he didn't agree to. He didn't like it when people were skittish or afraid around him. He was just like them when it really came down to it anyway, so it really made him yearn for them to treat him normally, too.

He looked up to find that his black (sometimes white) limo had yet to appear and as he looked down at his expensive watch, he found that he had been let out a whole half an hour early. He turned back towards the fairly large house to find the silhouette of his teacher in the kitchen, putting a bottle to his lips. Soul scrunched up his nose in distaste as he knew he was drinking. And the young boy was smart enough to know it was something strong at the shape and size of the bottle.