Chasing My Mate

Marcus

Looking out of the window from the seventy-third floor I watched as all the humans scurried and dashed around busily. I watched like an eagle as they all walked quickly through the crowded square, eager to reach home at this late hour.
Rome is so much more different than my home in Paris, but yet here I was waiting for Alpha Alexander to show up. How could the man be so late? If it wasn’t for my father who was good friends with his father, I wouldn’t have even considered this alliance, let alone leave my pack and fly to Rome in order to sign the treaty on neutral grounds.

‘Devin!’ I bellowed to my Beta, who quickly opened the grand oak door and walked into the living room. ‘Yes, Alpha?’ asked Devin firmly.

‘I want you to call Alpha Alexander or Beta Mike and find out what the fuck is taking them so long!’ I spat through gritted teeth.

If this was some sort of trick where he would invite me to sign a treaty and sneakily go to my land and attack my pack, I would be beyond furious. I took a sip of whiskey from my rock glass, swallowing the alcohol and feeling it burn down my throat.

‘Alpha, I just got off the phone with Beta Mike,’ Devin informed me. ‘It seems that Alpha Alexander found his mate, his human mate, while leaving and hence got delayed.'

I sighed in relief, finishing of the liquor and sat on the plush sofa. I couldn’t help but feel envious of Alpha Alexander, sure his mate was human, but at least he had found her, now he would be so much stronger, he had a mate to protect after all. I on the other hand was nearly twenty-six and still hadn’t met her. I growled at that thought. It made me lose hope. Most wolves found their mate at the age of sixteen! Yet, here I was all alone and beginning to lose hope, beginning to wonder if she was even out there. 

I shook my head slightly, trying to get rid of all the envy I felt towards Alexander. His mate was after all human; he couldn’t declare her his mate on the spot. Alexander was also an ordinary wolf, so he would take things slow… well at least slow for a werewolf.

You see, there are three types of werewolves-
First are the ordinary wolves, they are the most common, they are basically normal werewolves who can shift any time they like, have mates and like to live in peace. When an ordinary wolf finds their mate, they like to take things slow, get to know their mate until they finally complete the bond.

The second type of wolves is warrior wolves, like me. We are fighters; I am currently Alpha of the largest warrior pack in the world. Us warrior wolves crave blood; we are designed to kill, to protect. We are stronger, faster and have better senses than other wolves. We are, as some would call it, the fighters because any time there is a rogue attack, we are always there to fight them off. Only a handful of warrior wolves find their mates and when they do, their strength drastically increases. You see, a warrior wolf is very possessive and in order to protect their mate, the extra strength kicks in. This is also why I want my mate. I am already very powerful, but when I find my mate, I will be undefeatable.

The third type of wolves are the most rare of them all, these are the gifted wolves, the ones with extra abilities and supernatural powers. Each gifted wolf has an individual talent; some have small talents like being able to see through opaque objects, while others have more powerful talents like being able to control a person’s body. However, with the help of a treaty, the gifted wolves can now only use their talents against rogues and other enemies of the wolf. Gifted wolves were very uncommon, nearly extinct. They preferred to live by themselves and never has a gifted wolf had a mate, that’s why there are so few of them.

‘Alpha Marcus, I am extremely sorry for being late,’ Alpha Alexander walked in with his Beta Mike, immediately I got up and walked over to Alexander, shaking his hand firmly.

‘I was beginning to think that you would never show,’ I said solemnly, taking a seat on the couch, Alexander sitting opposite me.

‘I took a look at the treaty you had sent over and I agree to all the terms, I had the treaty printed out and I am ready to sign it,’ said Alexander, bring out some papers and a pen.

I nodded my head as he passed the document and pen over to me, I went to the last page and messily signed near my name and then passed it back to Alexander. He did the same and we both shook hands as the alliance was done. That was quick.

‘Well, shall we open a bottle of Champaign?’ asked Alexander.   

‘No, it’s getting late and I have a flight to catch back to Paris,’ I spoke. ‘Besides, don’t you want to get back to your mate?’ I asked, bringing the topic up subtly.

‘She is human,’ Alexander sighed in defeat, ‘she doesn’t understand the situation.’

‘So what are you planning on doing?’ I asked out of curiosity.

‘I plan on showing her who I really am and making her fall for me. Then I will tell her about the existence of wolves,’ said Alexander. ‘What would you do?’

‘If I ever have a mate, I will claim her the minute I lay my eyes on her and never let her go,’ I told him briskly.

‘No, what would you do if your mate was human?’ he asked once again.

‘Claim her and never let her go…’ I repeated. ‘Well, I may also turn her into a wolf.’

Alexander sighed and shook his head; clearly we were very different.

‘I should get going,’ I said, ready to leave Alexander to all his sentimental crap.

‘Wait, Alpha Marcus,’ Alexander called out.

‘Yes?’ I asked in annoyance, turning around to face him.

‘Have you heard about the Belgium rogue situation?’ he asked referring to an incident that occurred this morning when a rogue was spotted in Belgium, near the France borders. But the rogue hadn’t crossed the borders, ran as soon as it was spotted and hadn’t caused any harm, so unfortunately the matter had been dropped.

‘Yes, I am the Alpha of warriors, of course I know about it,’ I said obviously.

‘Well, I was just informed that the rogue happens to be gifted… and female,’ he said.

Well this was new information to me. I didn’t know the wolf was gifted and never would have guessed the rogue to be female!

‘Well I guess I could look into it.’