Chapter Eighteen

“Kaycee?” Sarah called through the door and she jumped

“I’m coming out,” Kaycee called as she hid the test then took a deep breath before letting herself out the bathroom.

Sarah was stood in her bedroom nervously nibbling at her lower lip and Kaycee’s gaze went straight to the phone clutched in Sarah’s hand like a lifeline.

“Well?” Sarah asked her eyes wide.

“Who were you calling?” Kaycee asked instead wondering who exactly her sister could have been blabbing to.

“What? Oh, nobody. I was just checking my messages,” Sarah said making Kaycee frown at her suspiciously.

“You were checking your messages?” Kaycee asked in disbelief and Sarah gave her a tight smile.

“Yeah, I just wanted to make sure that everyone wasn’t too worried about me. But this isn’t about me, this is about you. So, am I about to be an aunt?” Sarah asked as her mascara streaked face pinched in worry.

“Er, No! It was negative. I’m not pregnant!” Kaycee informed her sister whose face lit up.

“Oh. I guess you and Jake got lucky this time,” Sarah offered and Kaycee froze.

“How did you know Jake was the father?” Kaycee asked as she thought back and realised that Sarah hadn’t been there when everything was revealed. So, how did she know about their secret relationship?

“Erm, well I figured, I mean you guys have been spending a lot of time together,” Sarah explained and Kaycee’s frown deepened.

“No, we haven’t. I’ve barely seen him, so how do you know about him?” she asked again and Sarah actually looked flustered.

“Um, It was on one of my messages, obviously. I mean how else would I have known? Everybody knows now.” Sarah said trying to brush it under the carpet and Kaycee stared at her in shock. For, sweet perfect little Sarah was lying. Her own stepsister, lying to her face. The question though was why?

“That must have been it. So, what are you doing here again?” Kaycee asked for it had never been in Sarah’s nature to come crawling to her for sympathy. She had always gone straight to her mother who had been full of it.

“I needed someone I trusted to talk to,” Sarah said but Kaycee noticed that she couldn’t look her in the eyes and was acting suspiciously.

“What did you need to talk to me about?” she asked and Sarah hesitated.

“The thing is, I think I’m in love,” Sarah said and Kaycee frowned as she thought back to the ugly scene that had taken place only hours ago.

“I don’t think that someone in love leaves their man at the alter,” Kaycee offered and Sarah laughed.

“No, I mean I think I’ve fallen for someone else,” she said and Kaycee froze in shock.

“Who?” she asked wondering who could have possibly turned her sister’s head and how she could have taken Kaycee’s boyfriend from her only to ditch him a few weeks later.

“I can’t tell you,” Sarah said and Kaycee’s inner alarm went off.

“Why can’t you tell your own sister? Is it someone I know?” she asked and Sarah once again looked uncomfortable.

“It’s someone close to you who I don’t think you would really approve of. I just wanted your advice. Do you think it’s too soon to move on from Rob?” she asked and Kaycee stared at her like she had just grown a second head. Someone close to her but she wouldn’t tell her who? And too soon to move on from Rob? It had barely been three hours.

“I think it would be a little too soon, considering that you only just broke up,” Kaycee offered ignoring her own behaviour the month before.

“Well, I guess we’d have to keep it a secret for a bit longer. It’s not like he hasn’t been in a secret relationship before,” Sarah said and Kaycee’s chest suddenly felt tight.

“How long have you been seeing him?” she asked and Sarah gave a small laugh.

“About four weeks. I know, I should have called the wedding off sooner, but he was with someone else and I didn’t know if it was going to go anywhere. But now I know it is and I want everyone to know. Well, not right now obviously,” Sarah said with a dreamy look on her face and Kaycee had finally had enough.

It was clear to her now what Sarah was talking about. All the baby talk? Obviously she hadn’t wanted Kaycee to be pregnant. And she’d been with the guy for four weeks who was in a secret relationship? It was all clear now. She wasn’t content with stealing Rob, now she’d stolen Jake as well.

“You know? You should stay here for a while until it all blows over,” Kaycee offered and Sarah smiled at her.

“Aww, that’s sweet Cee. But it only has one room, where would you sleep?” she asked and Kaycee gave a tight smile.

“I’m actually going away for a while,” she replied and Sarah smiled like the cat that got the cream.

“Well, have a good time,” she offered and Kaycee turned without a word to go and pack.

What she needed was some time away from everyone and everything. That was clearly the reason she hadn’t been able to stop thinking about Jake, because she was surrounded by reminders. She really needed some time to think about things, including her future and what she was going to do about the giant lie she had told Sarah.

An image of that pregnancy test flashed back in to her mind including the blue line that confirmed her suspicious and flipped her world upside down!