Chapter Eight

Once she could breathe again Kaycee clambered ungraciously from the bed and headed for the bathroom her mind whirling at the thoughts and feelings that were swirling around inside her. It was ridiculous to be feeling anything and it certainly wasn’t love, of that she was sure. She had only known the man two days for gods sake and so far he was not proving himself to be a trustworthy person.

            “It’s not love!” she muttered as she stepped in to the shower and even to herself the denial sounded thin.

It was as she was reaching for the soap that the glass door swung open behind her and she gasped at the sight of Jake standing there with a grin on his face. He climbed in to the shower with her ignoring both her scandalised expression and her gasp of indignation as he took the soap from her and began to lather it across her body while his grin remained fixed in place.

Kaycee wanted to protest but it was just so hard to do when his hands were doing such amazing things to her body and when her blood was singing at his merest touch. She couldn’t help the small moans of intense pleasure as his hands caressed her soft, supple skin and gently touched and teased her most intimate places.

It was amazing to her how Jake could turn a simple shower in to an exploration of each other’s bodies so intense and passionate that she thought she might actually explode at any moment. And it was still surprising for her every time she fell apart on his arms. He was a like a genius or something. Some people could touch a violin and play it so sweetly that it bought tears to your eyes, well Jake could play her like a finely tuned violin. One touch and she fell apart like the sweetest music imaginable. One touch, one taste and she was his for the taking.

            “Dammit!” she cursed a short while later when they were both thoroughly washed and equally satisfied. That wasn’t supposed to have happened. She was doing a great job of convincing him that she hated him. Yeah, he was really going to end their marriage and let her go when the only thing she seemed to do around him was fall to pieces.

Okay, new goal! As of now she would not let Jake Wentworth touch her, not even once. No longer would she fall apart at his very touch. She would train herself to be immune to him! Hadn’t some guy taught those dogs to salivate on command? Well, that was what Jake had done to her and all she had to do was train herself to ignore that sensation and instead concentrate on how much she hated him.

Right! First thing she was going to do today was find out where exactly they were and then she would figure out a way to leave! She had just one day until she had to be back at work and she would not let them down simply because she was too weak to fight her urges.

            “We should get some breakfast,” Kaycee announced suddenly deciding that she would lull him in to a false sense of security. He was more likely to make a mistake that way.

            “The kitchen should be well stocked,” Jake told her as he pulled on clean jeans and a top while she followed suit and after brushing her hair back in to a simple ponytail Kaycee followed him down to the huge kitchen that was bigger than her entire apartment and had everything you could ever want. She was practically drooling as Jake cooked up a breakfast of bacon, sausage, egg, tomatoes and toast. She hadn’t realised she was so hungry until now but her body was screaming to be fed.

            “Mmm! This is really good. I didn’t think you’d be much of a cook,” Kaycee revealed as she took a bite of bacon unaware of the look of pure bliss that crossed her face.

            “Just because I’m rich you think I’d be unable to fend for myself?” he questioned and she shrugged.

            “Why not? I mean I know plenty of rich people who can’t cook!” she responded thinking of her family who would have no clue how to boil water let alone make breakfast for themselves.

            “Well, my mother was not one for laziness and she made sure I knew how to take care of myself from the moment I could. I was the only bloke in my school that could cook, clean and make his own bed before he could read or write,” he revealed and Kaycee couldn’t help the smile that spread across her face at the thought of a younger Jake being taught by his mom.

            “Sounds nice,” she said wistfully and he frowned at her.

            “You obviously learnt to fend for yourself,” he replied and she nodded slowly as she took a bite of sausage and washed it down with a gulp of her freshly made coffee.

            “From the housekeeper. My mom died when I was a baby. I don’t remember her, the only mother I remember is Susan and she hardly cared whether I lived or died let alone whether I could fend for myself. She spent most of her time teaching Sarah how to be pretty, smart and popular. I was usually in the kitchen with Mrs Pomfrey, our housekeeper and cook. She taught me how to cook for myself and how to clean. Until the day Susan discovered what she was doing and then she had her fired. She told my dad she’d caught Mrs Pomfrey stealing but really she just didn’t want me to have anything to myself.” Kaycee revealed and Jake frowned.

            “She didn’t care about you? I mean you must have only been young when she married your father,” he said and Kaycee shrugged.

            “I was two when they got married and I guess she was always jealous because I was his real daughter and she couldn’t have kids with him. I mean dad never treated me and Sarah differently. We were sisters, it didn’t matter to us or him who our real parents were but I guess Susan felt insecure or something. She always pushed me out. Sarah was like a sister though, I really thought she felt the same way,” Kaycee said wistfully and Jake nodded as though he really understood.

            “Sarah will never have what you have,” he told her quietly and it was then that Kaycee realised who it was she was talking to and the shutters came down.

            “And what’s that? A family who hate her and a husband she can’t stand? Lucky girl!” she informed him aware of the flicker of hurt that crossed his face before he disguised it.

            “I was going to say natural beauty, a quick brain and a man who actually cares about her but if you want to have it your way then fine!” he said before he left the room with his last words ringing in her ears making her feel guiltier than ever.