Chapter Five

Kaycee had never in her life being so scared of where four words could lead, but from the moment he had spoken them she had genuinely being afraid. For what exactly would come from their talk? He had made it clear back there that he didn’t take marriage lightly yet how could they stay married when they were almost complete strangers?

Not wanting to have such a conversation in front of her parent’s house where any of her family could hear them Kaycee suggested they go back to hers and thankfully Jake agreed. It was clear that he wasn’t going to give up and she would rather have the conversation in the privacy of her apartment.

            “It’s a nice place,” Jake said as she let him in twenty minutes later and she sent him a sharp look to see if he was being sarcastic like her stepmother had been when she had first seen the small apartment. It was hardly up to the standards of her parent’s place but it suited her just fine. And more importantly she could afford it on the small amount she earned as a carer for the elderly. It may not be a good paying job but it was rewarding for her and it paid the bills which was more than her stepsister or stepmother ever did for themselves. If not for her father funding them they would never have survived this long. Kaycee was proud of the fact that since she turned sixteen she had never once asked her father for so much as a penny.

            “Thank you, I like it.” Kaycee responded once she realised that he was being serious about liking her apartment. Admittedly it was not the best place going but she had taken the time to make it in to a home and it was far more homely to her than the palatial house that her father called home.

            “So, we should talk about what happened last night!” Jake announced getting straight to the heart of the matter while Kaycee sucked in a deep breath. She sucked at these kind of serious conversations and that was when she knew the person she was having the awkward moment with. Jake may as well have been a complete stranger.

            “It shouldn’t have happened…” she started only to be cut off by Jake who gave her a fierce look.

            “But it did and we shouldn’t ignore that fact,”

            “I wasn’t going to ignore it, I was just thinking that maybe we could you know move on from this,” Kaycee told him praying that he would see the sense in her plan.

All that met this statement was his gaze that was hard as granite as he looked at her and she decided that he most definitely did not like her plan.

            “The only moving that will be occurring is when you move in with me,” Jake informed her coolly and Kaycee gaped at him. Was he kidding? He certainly didn’t seem to be which left only one option. Jake Wentworth was a crazy man. He had to be to think for even a second that she would ever consider moving in with him.

            “I don’t think so. I happen to have a life here, a job. I am not leaving it all just because you don’t believe in divorce. I mean we don’t know what happened last night. I mean, I don’t remember. Do you remember? Maybe nothing happened. Maybe we bought a ring and that was it. Maybe we just bought the ring and then went for a lie down.” Kaycee tried aware that she was starting to sound hysterical.

            “Then explain this,” Jake offered and Kaycee paled as she took the slip of paper from his firm fingers gasping at the written proof that confirmed they were married.

            “Okay, so we’re definitely married. Shit! We are married. Okay, so we got married, but maybe we didn’t sleep together,” Kaycee tried and Jake frowned at her.

            “How is that supposed to help?” he asked and she frowned.

            “Well, I saw this programme once where a couple were able to get an annulment because they were drunk and nothing actually happened between them, I mean maybe nothing happened between us. Maybe we could get an annulment. That’s not a divorce so it doesn’t go against your morals,” Kaycee explained beaming up at him like she had just discovered how to turn things in to gold.