Chapter Four

It was like her worst nightmare come true!

Well, the nightmare she had been dreading since she had woken up that morning. How had he found her father so quickly? And what was he doing here? She was so confused right now and not just about what had happened last night. She wondered what he and her father had been discussing and how long they had been discussing it for.

            “Hi daddy!” she said jumping to her feet and giving him a hug while glaring at Jake over his shoulder.

            “Hi sweetheart. I’m glad to see you’re okay,” he said with a relieved smile while his wife cleared her throat to get his attention making both of them turn to gaze at her questioningly.

            “Aren’t you going to introduce us to your friend?” Susan asked with a big smile at Jake and Kaycee felt herself bristle indignantly at the hungry look she was giving him.

            “Of course, sorry darling. This is….”

And here it came Kaycee thought with a wince as she waited for the hammer to fall, now everyone would know that Jake just might be her husband. Oh god, how was she going to face them after this?

            “… Jake Wentworth. Of Wentworth Hotels. He has been trying to get me to sell my hotels to him for a while but as I have explained to him. I will only give them to my son-in-law, when I have one of course. And as Sarah’s already spoken for and I know Kaycee would never be foolish enough to fall for his charms, he is out of luck. Got to give the boy credit for trying though!” her father finished explaining and Kaycee stared at him open mouthed.

Jake was part of the Wentworth family? Her father’s biggest business rivals and she had unwittingly married their son. Could this get any worse? It surprised her though to realise that not only had Jake not come here to tell her father about them but also that he hadn’t revealed it even when her father had dropped that little bombshell.

            “Such a shame that your daughter wouldn’t consider me a good husband,” Jake offered thoughtfully with a meaningful glance Kaycee’s way and she fought not to blush.

            “My girls are too smart to fall for your charms Wentworth, right Kaycee?” her father asked with a grin and she offered a weak smile as she fought not to glance at Jake.

            “Yep, too smart for that, daddy.”

            “Soon you will have your son-in-law to pass your hotels on to and I doubt whether Kaycee will have a chance to find a husband before then,” Susan said her very tone dripping acid that made Kaycee grit her teeth furiously. She had never been fond of her stepmother but she was starting to really hate the woman.

            “Now Susie, Kaycee has always been a beautiful girl, I’m sure she’ll have no trouble finding a husband when she’s ready. Right princess?” her father asked with an indulgent smile and Kaycee smiled back at him.

            “Speaking of looks, what on earth have you done to your hair, sweetie? You look like a clown at the circus,” Susan offered and Kaycee self-conciously touched her hair even as she cursed herself for doing it.

            “Well I like it and that’s all that matters,” Kaycee told her firmly determined that her stepmother would hold no more power over her.

            “I think it suits you!” Jake offered and she narrowed her eyes at him wondering why he was still here, not noticing the way Susan stiffened at his comment or the way her father smiled.