3. The Angel Against The Halfling

I woke up curled up in bed, under my blankets. I rolled over and bumped into a body. It wasn’t mine, unless I suddenly had a clone. It was no random girl picked up from a bar. It was Gerard, he was sleeping soundly, snoring lightly from his nose. I looked at the clock, it was around eleven thirty. I slid out of bed and put on some clean clothes, then I went to the livingroom of the apartment, Ray was drinking a cup of coffee contently.

“How did he get in your room?” Ray asked, he didn’t even look up from the television that he was watching. Ray only watched television when he was so bored he had nothing else to do. I looked at him as I went to go get myself some coffee. “I saw him leave.” Ray stated.

“I don’t know how he got in.” I answered honestly. I literally had no clue, nothing really made me want to question. Something about Gerard made a good company, I wouldn’t question him at all. “I don’t mind really…” I said.

“You know I could call the police and file a trespassing report.” Ray said blankly.

“I like him being here.” I said.

“You don’t know him though!” Ray snapped, he set his coffee down and looked at me.

“I know him enough to trust him.” I said. “He gave me his soul, Jesus Christ! Isn’t that enough?!” I asked. Ray glared at me and scoffed.

“What did I tell you about your choice of words?” Ray asked in annoyance.

“Sorry.” I muttered, I sat down on the recliner. I had always slipped up, dropping something derogatory about God or Jesus around him. He was the kind of guy who wouldn’t appreciate that, but now I kind of understood more since he was an angel. He looked at me and rubbed his face.

“I’m sorry, Frank. I just…I don’t trust him. I don’t’ trust Nephilim.” Ray said with a glance at me. I shrugged my shoulders. He sighed and drank some more coffee. “Maybe I could talk to him later? Maybe I can gain his trust, and he can gain mine?” Ray asked.

“Maybe.” I answered. “His brother is nice too, but I don’t think he’ll be coming around anytime. He’s got a girlfriend.” I told him.

“That’s against the code!” Ray exclaimed.

“Love is love, Ray.” I said. Ray rolled his eyes and stuck his tongue out at me. I laughed a little and watched the show that was on the screen. It was something to do with the News and an explosion at a house not too far away from here. In the report, there had been witnesses that there were satanic rituals and such going on. “Do you have to go and clear out guys like that?” I asked. Ray looked at me.

“Only if I’m specifically called upon. Other than that, no. But if I’m not called upon, and I think that it is up to me to decide whether or not I should act on it, I can go.” Ray answered. He looked at the screen, there were shots of some things that could be involved in the satanic rituals. Gerard walked out of my bedroom with a tired expression, there were circles under his eyes. Ray and I looked at him, Gerard ran his hand through his greasy black hair.

“Nephilim.” Ray said, he looked Gerard up and down. Gerard came over and sat beside me on the couch, he rubbed his eyes.

“Would you like some coffee?” I asked. Gerard just simply nodded. I got up and looked at Ray, I gave him a slight nod; meaning that he could talk to Gerard while I went to go get the Nephilim some coffee. I went to the kitchen and began making Gerard a cup of coffee.

“How did you get into the house after you left?” Ray asked.

“An angel should have knowledge on things like this, shouldn’t they?” Gerard asked with a raised eyebrow. Ray sighed. “Once a human, the chosen human has gotten their soul, the Nephilim can use magicka and transport themselves to the area.” Gerard answered.