2. Ray Toro, Ray Toro, Put Your Wings Away

I wasn’t quite sure what time I fell asleep, but I ended up waking up with my head in Gerard’s lap. My body curled up and tucked under the blankets. I looked up and Gerard was leaning back on his arms, his eyes slightly closed. I wasn’t sure if Nephilim slept, but I knew for sure that everything that happened last night was legitimate. I touched the necklace around my neck, there seemed to be no clasp to it, so there was no taking it off.

As much as I found this weird because Gerard was a fucking priest, I was moderately comfortable. The fire was still going and making my face warm instead of chilly cold like Gerard’s skin was. I could feel the cold air coming off of him. Normally people emanated heat, but he seemed to emanate cold. I laid there, not wanting to move or anything. I was comfortable where I was. The rain was still coming down, but I could tell it wasn’t as hard, and the daylight from outside was coming through the stained glass windows.

I moved a little bit and stretched my arms out, the stained glass reflections looked strange against the few tattoos that I had on my arm. Gerard shifted and leaned forward, his head hanging forward. Like the way a kid slept in the car somewhere. His eyes still closed, his lips not parted. He was sleeping peacefully, his fingers were straight to my hair. I reached up and touched his cheek, he twitched a little and his eyes fluttered open. They weren’t glowing golden anymore, they were just an olive coloured hazel.

“Frank.” Gerard said, his voice was scratchy and thick with sleep. Nephilim did sleep, I guessed. I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes, Gerard was watching me. “The rain is calmer.” Gerard stated obviously. I looked at him and he just looked like a normal person, a normal priest. I pulled my legs closer to me. “I can get Mikey to drive you home.” Gerard told me.

“I-I don’t really do well with strangers, Gerard.” I said. Gerard looked at me and raised an eyebrow.

“What about last night?” Gerard asked.

“You’re a priest!” I answered.

“Whatever.” Gerard said rolling his eyes.

“You’re so not formal anymore.” I muttered. I slowly got to my feet, using the mantle of the fireplace to keep me steady. Gerard looked up at me. “My roommate is going to be so pissed.” I grumbled. Gerard stood up with ease and…I think he sniffed me. He just leaned forward and sniffed me, it was weird. Like being sniffed by a dog that didn’t recognize you, like the canines you’d cheat on with a friends’ dog when you went to their house.

“Your roommate, he’s your guardian, isn’t he?” Gerard asked. I looked at my wife-beater shirt and sniffed it. It just smelled like rain, church candles, the blanket and Gerard. I looked at him and he pointed at his nose and flashed his teeth. I was surprised how comfortable I was with him already.

“He says he is, but I don’t know if I totally believe him. Are angels real?” I asked, then I felt stupid. He wouldn’t be a Nephilim if angels weren’t real. He looked at me and rolled his eyes. “Never mind, I just don’t know if he really is.” I added.

“His scent is strong.” Gerard said, he crinkled his nose. “Does he have a lot of hair?” Gerard asked. I nodded thinking about Ray’s massive fro. “I don’t know how I didn’t notice his scent last night.” Gerard said, he picked up the blanket and covered me in it. Was it to mask Ray’s smell? “I want to rid you of that scent, Frank.” Gerard said airily as he crossed his office. I watched him and he was turning off the lights that had turned on during the middle of the night when the power had gotten back.

“So, is your brother a Nephilim too?” I asked. Gerard looked at me.

“Yes, but he’s more demon than angel.” Gerard answered, he crossed his arms. “His girlfriend knows what he is, he pretends that he’s her guardian too, but she doesn’t have his soul.” Gerard told me.