Chapter Eleven

Arabella become more uncomfortably aware of Jasper's knee with every sway of the carriage. She wanted to shift over, knowing that he preferred not to touch her. With the next turn of the vehicle, she attempted to subtly slide down the bench. Just as she feared, the soft, velvety seat cushion crumbled as she slid, and he cast a curious glance at her.

"Afraid of me, are we?"

"Not at all, Your Grace. Just attempting a comfortable journey."

He let out a shaky chuckle. "Do I really disgust you that much?" The tremble in his voice betrayed his stone cold facial expression. She was making him just as uncomfortable and insecure he was making her.

"No. You do not."

"Is that so? Your actions suggest other wise."

His surprise in turn surprised her.

"What actions?" she cried out, "I haven't done anything!"

As much as the confined coach would allow him to turn, he faced her. Why did his shoulders have to be so bulky? He was more lengthy than broad but this bloody vehicle was more suited for one passenger than two.

"You've been formal."

Her face twisted into what appeared to be... Pure rage.

"Me? I am not the one who pushed me into a dark hallway without the smallest hint of a candle! I'm not the one who insists on a relationship based on the confinements of etiquette! I-"

Jasper began to panic. He knew she was still raking him across the coals, and that he deserved it, but it was like there was beeswax stuffed into his ears. All he could see was the woman he loved shoving his mistakes into his thick skull... The woman he loved! It had happened so fast that he almost missed it.

He stopped her mid sentence. Before she could prepare herself, his hands were cupping her cheeks and his lips were on hers. He was surprised when she didn't pull away. When he did, he could see that her face was the reddest he'd ever seen her. Her fingers gently brushed against her lips and she looked at him in awe.

"W-what was that?" Arabella stumbled over her words and he was surprised she hadn't slapped him.

"A kiss, my dear. Now hush before I will be forced to give you another one."

"You rake!" She mumbled before turning to the window and pulling back the curtain.

He was almost tempted to kiss her again but, instead, decided to return to his newspaper. As he resettled, he couldn't help but smirk.

ɤɤɤɤ

When they arrived, Arabella gratefully accepted Jasper's help down. She kept her head down and positively refused to turn crimson again. The duchess smiled and drifted past her, gently pushing her chin up. "Head up, darling."

Arabella wasn't disappointed. It wasn't the grand estate she had expected. The house itself was more of a cottage, but the cozy sort that made you want to grab a quilt and lay out with a book. The type from her childhood.

She almost wished she could go back to her younger years. When she would sit by the fire with Alice, usually reading a book while Alice played with dolls and talked about the nearby village boys.

The small staff was waiting outside in a neat line, each looking very orderly. What she did not expect was for a woman about her age to come flouncing out of the cottage. Her dress was a very bright pink with the frills and lace more fit for the city than the countryside.

"Whatever is the all the commotion about? I was not served breakfast!" She pouted at the butler before seeing Jasper. With a loud cry, she sprinted into him. Almost knocking him over, she threw her arms around him. Arabella forced herself to withhold her territorial protests. Why did complications have to arrive the moment they arrived to at least an impasse? A kiss is more than an impasse, she reminded herself.

Ignoring the fact that she was in cotton and not the rich silks the other woman wore, Arabella calmly marched over and took Jasper's arm by the elbow.

"Kindly remove your hand from my husband's person, madam." She was shocked by the steely tone in her voice. She could be icy when she wanted, but never so firm or demanding.

The woman gasped, and spun away as of burned. "Married?" She seemed appalled at the very word.

"Yes, Miss Bullard."

She seemed even more repulsed by the sound of her own name. "'Miss Bullard'? You appeared to know my name perfectly well last summer when you proposed to me!"

Proposed? How had he proposed without gossip disseminating through the ton like water on tile? Arabella couldn't know for certain, but she was certain about one thing- she did not like it. Not at all.

ɤɤɤɤ

One again, I apologize for the lateness. The last three weeks have been hectic and I'm just glad I'm on spring break. I have a few more plot twists up my sleeves (I have some in both.... Haha, lame joke.) So watch out!

Love you guys!